POLICE have dropped their investigation into a High Street fracas involving Test Valley Borough Council leader Ian Carr.

Hampshire Constabulary have confirmed that the 76-year-old was voluntarily interviewed under caution by officers following the incident, between him and rival councillor Tony Hooke on Friday 1 February.

Stalwart TVBC leader Carr was reported to the police by Hampshire county councillor Hooke after he pushed the ex-Ukip politician and called him the "biggest ****hole in Andover".

Police later launched a probe into the incident, but have today announced they have dropped the investigation.

In a statement, a Hampshire Constabulary spokesperson said: "As part of this investigation, a 76-year-old man from Andover voluntarily attended Andover police station and was interviewed under caution.

"After a review of the available evidence, he has been released with no further action."

Councillor Tony Hooke has since slammed the decision, labelling it as "absolutely appalling".

The independent Hampshire county councillor: “He’s admitted calling me the biggest ****hole in Andover, swearing at me and pushing me, but for whatever reason that doesn’t constitute an offence.

“I think it’s absolutely appalling.

“What’s appalling is there seems to be two different standards in the county.

“If I’d had done the same I would have absolutely been pulled through the court system.”

Meanwhile councillor Carr says says he is pleased with the police's decision and has thanked witnesses for coming forward: "I am very pleased that, after a very thorough investigation, the police have decided to take no action over the alleged assault in the town centre, as there was no case to answer. 

"There were many witnesses to the incident who were able to give a true account of what happened and I would like to thank them for coming forward. 

"I was disappointed that the newspapers chose to focus their headlines on the vastly over embroidered and untrue accounts of the incident that appeared online and on facebook pages."