'Bus delays keep making me late'

A BASINGSTOKE dad has complained that he is constantly late for work because the bus he catches is rarely on time.

Stephen Dorey catches the Number 1 bus to and from Beggarwood each day, to his work in a warehouse, in Wade Road.

But the 45-year-old said he regularly has to wait 20 minutes for the bus to arrive – only for two to then turn up at the same time.

He said: “For the last two years, it’s been getting really bad. I have been getting late into work. I have complained so many times. People are always complaining.”

Mr Dorey is angry that the prices continuously rise, when he believes the service is poor. The father-of-two, who pays £12.50 a week for a Megarider ticket, said when he complained to Stagecoach about the service, he was told to catch an earlier bus.

He said: “Why should I get the earlier bus and stand outside work for 20 minutes? Stagecoach aren’t delivering the service they are meant to. They are rubbish.”

Mr Dorey’s latest complaint was sent to Andrew Dyer, managing director of Stagecoach. But so far, he has not received a reply.

Mr Dorey called The Gazette while he was on the bus home, and said it had taken an hour-and-a-half to reach Beggarwood, when it should have been a 55-minute journey.

Mr Dyer told The Gazette: “There clearly have been some individual difficulties where we have owed Mr Dorey an apology because his journey has been disrupted. But the suggestion that the Number 1 bus is always late, we would say, is not true.

“We changed the Number 1 timetable earlier this year, specifically to try and improve punctuality in the morning rush hour. We are planning some timetable reviews in the New Year.”

Stagecoach will consult with the borough and county council on any proposed changes, which Mr Dyer said he hopes will “address any remaining issues with punctuality.”

He added: “I would like to assure Mr Dorey, and any other users, that whilst we believe the problems are not large scale, we are treating them seriously.”

Mr Dyer said that it is not always possible to guarantee exact times for buses, because their arrival can depend on traffic conditions.

However, he added: “Our own monitoring suggests that over 90 per cent of buses in Basingstoke run within five minutes of the advertised time. So punctuality levels are pretty good, but there’s always room for improvement.”

Comments (53)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:23pm Sat 28 Dec 13

CEE001 says...

Here’s a selection from my recent bus trips from Wade Road to town. The bus is due at 17.03 (a further one is due at 17.17).
3 Dec - 17.12
6 Dec - 17.19
7 Dec - 17.07
10 Dec - 17.24
13 Dec - 17.03 (praise was lavished on the driver!)
17 Dec - 17.06
From the bus station to Wade Road – the bus is due at 8.46, a further one at 8.58:
3 Dec - 8.57
7 Dec - 0846 on time!
10 Dec - 8.48
12 Dec - 9.00.
17 Dec -8.48
19 Dec - 8.54
That’s 50% running within 5 minutes of the due time, NOT 90%, and considering the bus has written on it that runs every 12 minutes, it’s really not good enough.
Here’s a selection from my recent bus trips from Wade Road to town. The bus is due at 17.03 (a further one is due at 17.17). 3 Dec - 17.12 6 Dec - 17.19 7 Dec - 17.07 10 Dec - 17.24 13 Dec - 17.03 (praise was lavished on the driver!) 17 Dec - 17.06 From the bus station to Wade Road – the bus is due at 8.46, a further one at 8.58: 3 Dec - 8.57 7 Dec - 0846 on time! 10 Dec - 8.48 12 Dec - 9.00. 17 Dec -8.48 19 Dec - 8.54 That’s 50% running within 5 minutes of the due time, NOT 90%, and considering the bus has written on it that runs every 12 minutes, it’s really not good enough. CEE001

2:42pm Sat 28 Dec 13

alan partridge says...

Aha!

Stop twisting & do what I do. Get an earlier bus. Some people can't even feed their families this Christmas and your twisting aabout 20mins of waiting. Get a grip.
Aha! Stop twisting & do what I do. Get an earlier bus. Some people can't even feed their families this Christmas and your twisting aabout 20mins of waiting. Get a grip. alan partridge

10:23am Sun 29 Dec 13

deepinsight says...

At least you've got buses!!

Stagecoach are planning to axe the part of the Jazz 3 route that passes through Stag Hill and the Berg Estate.

This will impact over 800 dwellings and remove the only public transport from many elderly people who currently rely upon it.

Don't remember reading about this in the Gazette though.....
At least you've got buses!! Stagecoach are planning to axe the part of the Jazz 3 route that passes through Stag Hill and the Berg Estate. This will impact over 800 dwellings and remove the only public transport from many elderly people who currently rely upon it. Don't remember reading about this in the Gazette though..... deepinsight

11:20am Sun 29 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

Maybe there needs to be camera's put into the buses then things like having a fag break or chatting to other bus drivers and dropping their mates off outside their houses when they should be driving would stop, no I don't use public transport as my job doesn't allow this, but I do have eyes and see what they do. I'm sure stage coach were given a license to operate on certain promises how about fines on failiure?
Maybe there needs to be camera's put into the buses then things like having a fag break or chatting to other bus drivers and dropping their mates off outside their houses when they should be driving would stop, no I don't use public transport as my job doesn't allow this, but I do have eyes and see what they do. I'm sure stage coach were given a license to operate on certain promises how about fines on failiure? Folkestone Saint

11:50am Sun 29 Dec 13

andrewwe says...

Stephen, it is your responsibility to get to work on time.
If, as you say the buses are all late, then go for the one before, which will
arrive at your bus stop twenty minutes late, and you will arrive at work on time, and not have to wait twenty minutes before starting work.
If that bus is never late then it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver...
Stephen, it is your responsibility to get to work on time. If, as you say the buses are all late, then go for the one before, which will arrive at your bus stop twenty minutes late, and you will arrive at work on time, and not have to wait twenty minutes before starting work. If that bus is never late then it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver... andrewwe

11:58am Sun 29 Dec 13

andrewwe says...

CEE001, those statistics just apply to you.
It impossible to get accurate figures unless every single passenger in Basingstoke submits their travel information.
Again, it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver...
CEE001, those statistics just apply to you. It impossible to get accurate figures unless every single passenger in Basingstoke submits their travel information. Again, it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver... andrewwe

8:10am Mon 30 Dec 13

Buster Preciation says...

andrewwe wrote:
Stephen, it is your responsibility to get to work on time.
If, as you say the buses are all late, then go for the one before, which will
arrive at your bus stop twenty minutes late, and you will arrive at work on time, and not have to wait twenty minutes before starting work.
If that bus is never late then it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver...
I drive to work alone because there is no other option. Are you saying that Stephen being late to work is my fault? Surely the rush hour affect should be built in to timetables.
[quote][p][bold]andrewwe[/bold] wrote: Stephen, it is your responsibility to get to work on time. If, as you say the buses are all late, then go for the one before, which will arrive at your bus stop twenty minutes late, and you will arrive at work on time, and not have to wait twenty minutes before starting work. If that bus is never late then it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver...[/p][/quote]I drive to work alone because there is no other option. Are you saying that Stephen being late to work is my fault? Surely the rush hour affect should be built in to timetables. Buster Preciation

8:14am Mon 30 Dec 13

RJS935 says...

When people write comments on here, they should check their facts first, ie 95% of buses, have cameras. Most delays are caused by motorists blocking box junctions, mothers on school runs etc. and how many people do you see standing at bus stops on the phone, only to realise when the bus comes they have not got their fare ready!
When people write comments on here, they should check their facts first, ie 95% of buses, have cameras. Most delays are caused by motorists blocking box junctions, mothers on school runs etc. and how many people do you see standing at bus stops on the phone, only to realise when the bus comes they have not got their fare ready! RJS935

10:53am Mon 30 Dec 13

andrewwe says...

Buster Preciation wrote:
andrewwe wrote:
Stephen, it is your responsibility to get to work on time.
If, as you say the buses are all late, then go for the one before, which will
arrive at your bus stop twenty minutes late, and you will arrive at work on time, and not have to wait twenty minutes before starting work.
If that bus is never late then it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver...
I drive to work alone because there is no other option. Are you saying that Stephen being late to work is my fault? Surely the rush hour affect should be built in to timetables.
Buster Preciation

I don't remember mentioning your name when I made my comment..
[quote][p][bold]Buster Preciation[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]andrewwe[/bold] wrote: Stephen, it is your responsibility to get to work on time. If, as you say the buses are all late, then go for the one before, which will arrive at your bus stop twenty minutes late, and you will arrive at work on time, and not have to wait twenty minutes before starting work. If that bus is never late then it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver...[/p][/quote]I drive to work alone because there is no other option. Are you saying that Stephen being late to work is my fault? Surely the rush hour affect should be built in to timetables.[/p][/quote]Buster Preciation I don't remember mentioning your name when I made my comment.. andrewwe

11:09am Mon 30 Dec 13

Buster Preciation says...

andrewwe wrote:
Buster Preciation wrote:
andrewwe wrote:
Stephen, it is your responsibility to get to work on time.
If, as you say the buses are all late, then go for the one before, which will
arrive at your bus stop twenty minutes late, and you will arrive at work on time, and not have to wait twenty minutes before starting work.
If that bus is never late then it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver...
I drive to work alone because there is no other option. Are you saying that Stephen being late to work is my fault? Surely the rush hour affect should be built in to timetables.
Buster Preciation

I don't remember mentioning your name when I made my comment..
You seemed to be blaming lone drivers of creating the problem. I'm one of them. Ergo, you are blaming me and people who do the same as me. Some could use public transport or car share others cannot.
No one, least of all the bus service providers, are going to solve the rush hour problem. So I repeat what I said earlier - their timetables should be realistic and take in to account the fact that there are busy periods.
[quote][p][bold]andrewwe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buster Preciation[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]andrewwe[/bold] wrote: Stephen, it is your responsibility to get to work on time. If, as you say the buses are all late, then go for the one before, which will arrive at your bus stop twenty minutes late, and you will arrive at work on time, and not have to wait twenty minutes before starting work. If that bus is never late then it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver...[/p][/quote]I drive to work alone because there is no other option. Are you saying that Stephen being late to work is my fault? Surely the rush hour affect should be built in to timetables.[/p][/quote]Buster Preciation I don't remember mentioning your name when I made my comment..[/p][/quote]You seemed to be blaming lone drivers of creating the problem. I'm one of them. Ergo, you are blaming me and people who do the same as me. Some could use public transport or car share others cannot. No one, least of all the bus service providers, are going to solve the rush hour problem. So I repeat what I said earlier - their timetables should be realistic and take in to account the fact that there are busy periods. Buster Preciation

11:13am Mon 30 Dec 13

Buster Preciation says...

andrewwe wrote:
CEE001, those statistics just apply to you.
It impossible to get accurate figures unless every single passenger in Basingstoke submits their travel information.
Again, it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver...
They don't just apply to him/her but everyone on the bus. And they agree with Stephen Dorey's observations and everyone on his bus. So admittedly the sample is still small but a lot bigger than just one passenger.
[quote][p][bold]andrewwe[/bold] wrote: CEE001, those statistics just apply to you. It impossible to get accurate figures unless every single passenger in Basingstoke submits their travel information. Again, it is probably traffic conditions - have a look at the cars passing and count how many are just one driver...[/p][/quote]They don't just apply to him/her but everyone on the bus. And they agree with Stephen Dorey's observations and everyone on his bus. So admittedly the sample is still small but a lot bigger than just one passenger. Buster Preciation

11:27am Mon 30 Dec 13

andrewwe says...

I don't drive, so perhaps I am biased, but in my opinion, there are too many cars on the road.
It seems that everybody has to have a car these days.
Mum and dad have one each, then their children each have to have one, so in one family there could be three or four cars.
The cars parked in my close keep mutiplying from week to week.
I don't drive, so perhaps I am biased, but in my opinion, there are too many cars on the road. It seems that everybody has to have a car these days. Mum and dad have one each, then their children each have to have one, so in one family there could be three or four cars. The cars parked in my close keep mutiplying from week to week. andrewwe

1:29pm Mon 30 Dec 13

deepinsight says...

As for cars blocking box junctions, that's nothing to the number of (long) buses which do exactly the same, and all buses seem to have an exclusion for stopping at red lights.

Just watch the Eastrop roundabout at any time for examples of the poor standard of bus driving that is accepted in this town.
As for cars blocking box junctions, that's nothing to the number of (long) buses which do exactly the same, and all buses seem to have an exclusion for stopping at red lights. Just watch the Eastrop roundabout at any time for examples of the poor standard of bus driving that is accepted in this town. deepinsight

2:59pm Mon 30 Dec 13

RJS935 says...

to answer deepinsight - would you let a bus out if they didnt push themselves out? I doubt it!
to answer deepinsight - would you let a bus out if they didnt push themselves out? I doubt it! RJS935

3:40pm Mon 30 Dec 13

jonone says...

andrewwe wrote:
I don't drive, so perhaps I am biased, but in my opinion, there are too many cars on the road.
It seems that everybody has to have a car these days.
Mum and dad have one each, then their children each have to have one, so in one family there could be three or four cars.
The cars parked in my close keep mutiplying from week to week.
I work in Farnborough, my wife works in Andover. It is unreasonable for us to have a car each then? Must be nice to have a simple life like yours!
[quote][p][bold]andrewwe[/bold] wrote: I don't drive, so perhaps I am biased, but in my opinion, there are too many cars on the road. It seems that everybody has to have a car these days. Mum and dad have one each, then their children each have to have one, so in one family there could be three or four cars. The cars parked in my close keep mutiplying from week to week.[/p][/quote]I work in Farnborough, my wife works in Andover. It is unreasonable for us to have a car each then? Must be nice to have a simple life like yours! jonone

3:42pm Mon 30 Dec 13

jonone says...

Basic summary of comments. Bus company provides p*ss-poor service (which Stagecoach are guilty of countrywide), entirely fault of people who use it. It is increasingly obvious how selfish and nasty Basingstoke people are!!
Basic summary of comments. Bus company provides p*ss-poor service (which Stagecoach are guilty of countrywide), entirely fault of people who use it. It is increasingly obvious how selfish and nasty Basingstoke people are!! jonone

4:12pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Mr_Right says...

I tried so hard to catch the bus to work. But after being regularly late for work because three consecutive 'every 12 minute' buses full of school kids would drive past because there was no room, or hourly buses would drive by, or worse not turn up at all (this is even worse on Sundays when the route is adapted but drivers often forget and go the wrong 'weekday' route) I had to give up as I simply couldn't guarantee I would get where I was going.

On terms of reliability, of course traffic conditions will affect this - how hard can it be in the 21st Century to provide real-time information at each bus stop giving accurate timings on where buses are and when they are really expected (not just due per he timetable) to arrive?
I tried so hard to catch the bus to work. But after being regularly late for work because three consecutive 'every 12 minute' buses full of school kids would drive past because there was no room, or hourly buses would drive by, or worse not turn up at all (this is even worse on Sundays when the route is adapted but drivers often forget and go the wrong 'weekday' route) I had to give up as I simply couldn't guarantee I would get where I was going. On terms of reliability, of course traffic conditions will affect this - how hard can it be in the 21st Century to provide real-time information at each bus stop giving accurate timings on where buses are and when they are really expected (not just due per he timetable) to arrive? Mr_Right

6:58pm Mon 30 Dec 13

keepontriking says...

Its hardly a long journey across town - ideal for a cycle ride; certainly healthier, cheaper and probably quicker too.
No brainer.
Its hardly a long journey across town - ideal for a cycle ride; certainly healthier, cheaper and probably quicker too. No brainer. keepontriking

8:42pm Mon 30 Dec 13

jonone says...

Actually, where Basingstoke is concerned and based on other posters elsewhere, "Man criticised for working for a living" might be more appropriate!
Actually, where Basingstoke is concerned and based on other posters elsewhere, "Man criticised for working for a living" might be more appropriate! jonone

10:11am Tue 31 Dec 13

deepinsight says...

In response to RJS935's question, "to answer deepinsight - would you let a bus out if they didnt push themselves out? I doubt it!" - I stop at the red light until a green light is shown and see buses pass through amber/red lights to park in front of me (and all the other behind me) blocking our path, so have no choice in 'letting a bus out' because they are already there!

However, I must add that I do let buses pull away from bus stops if indicating to do so.
In response to RJS935's question, "to answer deepinsight - would you let a bus out if they didnt push themselves out? I doubt it!" - I stop at the red light until a green light is shown and see buses pass through amber/red lights to park in front of me (and all the other behind me) blocking our path, so have no choice in 'letting a bus out' because they are already there! However, I must add that I do let buses pull away from bus stops if indicating to do so. deepinsight

10:43am Tue 31 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

The question to ask is "would the director of stagecoach be happy if he/she recieved such poor service almost every day for something they had paid for".
Maybe there should be a discounted price for late busses, and if more than 10 minuets late (as they run every 12) you pay nothing.
The question to ask is "would the director of stagecoach be happy if he/she recieved such poor service almost every day for something they had paid for". Maybe there should be a discounted price for late busses, and if more than 10 minuets late (as they run every 12) you pay nothing. Folkestone Saint

10:54am Tue 31 Dec 13

keepontriking says...

That's a nice idea but I suspect many delays are because of traffic congestion. Until that is resolved the situation will only get worse.

When the era of the private car as a means of transport has passed there may be improvements. It is galling to be waiting for a bus that carries 70-80 people only to see it inching along in the distance behind a queue of 30 single occupied vehicles.
i'm not sure you can blame the buses for that, rather that society has become wedded to an unsustainable car-culture.
Basingstoke Council has a lot to answer for also in its very poor motor-centric traffic planning.
That's a nice idea but I suspect many delays are because of traffic congestion. Until that is resolved the situation will only get worse. When the era of the private car as a means of transport has passed there may be improvements. It is galling to be waiting for a bus that carries 70-80 people only to see it inching along in the distance behind a queue of 30 single occupied vehicles. i'm not sure you can blame the buses for that, rather that society has become wedded to an unsustainable car-culture. Basingstoke Council has a lot to answer for also in its very poor motor-centric traffic planning. keepontriking

12:49pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

keepontriking wrote:
That's a nice idea but I suspect many delays are because of traffic congestion. Until that is resolved the situation will only get worse.

When the era of the private car as a means of transport has passed there may be improvements. It is galling to be waiting for a bus that carries 70-80 people only to see it inching along in the distance behind a queue of 30 single occupied vehicles.
i'm not sure you can blame the buses for that, rather that society has become wedded to an unsustainable car-culture.
Basingstoke Council has a lot to answer for also in its very poor motor-centric traffic planning.
You cannot blame the council as when I lived in Basingstoke back in th 70's there were cycle path's everywhere, what has happend to them?, here in Folkestone we have 4 and you have to be fit to use them as it is quite hilly.
[quote][p][bold]keepontriking[/bold] wrote: That's a nice idea but I suspect many delays are because of traffic congestion. Until that is resolved the situation will only get worse. When the era of the private car as a means of transport has passed there may be improvements. It is galling to be waiting for a bus that carries 70-80 people only to see it inching along in the distance behind a queue of 30 single occupied vehicles. i'm not sure you can blame the buses for that, rather that society has become wedded to an unsustainable car-culture. Basingstoke Council has a lot to answer for also in its very poor motor-centric traffic planning.[/p][/quote]You cannot blame the council as when I lived in Basingstoke back in th 70's there were cycle path's everywhere, what has happend to them?, here in Folkestone we have 4 and you have to be fit to use them as it is quite hilly. Folkestone Saint

1:02pm Tue 31 Dec 13

keepontriking says...

I do put much blame on the Council as they promote private car use above other modes of transport. that simply creates more congestion. Offering free car parking while not supporting public transport was one recent example.
Their most recent failure to incorporate an W-E cycle access across top of town in the refurbishments is another. Offers have been made to show Councillors and Officers some of the real world problems, but they refuse to take them up.
I do put much blame on the Council as they promote private car use above other modes of transport. that simply creates more congestion. Offering free car parking while not supporting public transport was one recent example. Their most recent failure to incorporate an W-E cycle access across top of town in the refurbishments is another. Offers have been made to show Councillors and Officers some of the real world problems, but they refuse to take them up. keepontriking

3:34pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

keepontriking wrote:
I do put much blame on the Council as they promote private car use above other modes of transport. that simply creates more congestion. Offering free car parking while not supporting public transport was one recent example.
Their most recent failure to incorporate an W-E cycle access across top of town in the refurbishments is another. Offers have been made to show Councillors and Officers some of the real world problems, but they refuse to take them up.
The free parking was to attract Christmas shoppers into the town, I wouldn't want to drag my son's new X-box around town then 1/4 of a mile from the nearest bus stop when I can put it in the boot of my car and carry on shopping as I'm sure many did
[quote][p][bold]keepontriking[/bold] wrote: I do put much blame on the Council as they promote private car use above other modes of transport. that simply creates more congestion. Offering free car parking while not supporting public transport was one recent example. Their most recent failure to incorporate an W-E cycle access across top of town in the refurbishments is another. Offers have been made to show Councillors and Officers some of the real world problems, but they refuse to take them up.[/p][/quote]The free parking was to attract Christmas shoppers into the town, I wouldn't want to drag my son's new X-box around town then 1/4 of a mile from the nearest bus stop when I can put it in the boot of my car and carry on shopping as I'm sure many did Folkestone Saint

3:39pm Tue 31 Dec 13

keepontriking says...

And thus be part of the clogging up of the roads for those who do use the buses.
See where the problems lie?
And thus be part of the clogging up of the roads for those who do use the buses. See where the problems lie? keepontriking

6:06pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

keepontriking wrote:
And thus be part of the clogging up of the roads for those who do use the buses.
See where the problems lie?
Is it free parking all year then? no wonder the raods are so busy, I feel as you are obviously a car hater we cannot have a balanced debate
[quote][p][bold]keepontriking[/bold] wrote: And thus be part of the clogging up of the roads for those who do use the buses. See where the problems lie?[/p][/quote]Is it free parking all year then? no wonder the raods are so busy, I feel as you are obviously a car hater we cannot have a balanced debate Folkestone Saint

6:14pm Tue 31 Dec 13

keepontriking says...

That's silly. Yes, I am against the congestion - why does that make me a "car-hater"? Do you support traffic delays? What a weird comment.
You are right, with such logic a "balanced debate" is not possible.

To the rest reading this, I wonder what solutions there are to making access to services, workplaces and leisure facilities that would work better? A proper transport strategy for the town or one that is piecemeal and favours few ?
Any ideas?
That's silly. Yes, I am against the congestion - why does that make me a "car-hater"? Do you support traffic delays? What a weird comment. You are right, with such logic a "balanced debate" is not possible. To the rest reading this, I wonder what solutions there are to making access to services, workplaces and leisure facilities that would work better? A proper transport strategy for the town or one that is piecemeal and favours few ? Any ideas? keepontriking

6:59pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

keepontriking wrote:
That's silly. Yes, I am against the congestion - why does that make me a "car-hater"? Do you support traffic delays? What a weird comment.
You are right, with such logic a "balanced debate" is not possible.

To the rest reading this, I wonder what solutions there are to making access to services, workplaces and leisure facilities that would work better? A proper transport strategy for the town or one that is piecemeal and favours few ?
Any ideas?
It is because you used an example that was for maybe 2 weeks of the year, hardly balanced, and to quote " queue of 30 single occupied vehicles.
i'm not sure you can blame the buses for that, rather that society has become wedded to an unsustainable car-culture." quite unbalanced. btw if you read my earlier comments you would see i'm not "all pro cars" but I am "all pro good service"
[quote][p][bold]keepontriking[/bold] wrote: That's silly. Yes, I am against the congestion - why does that make me a "car-hater"? Do you support traffic delays? What a weird comment. You are right, with such logic a "balanced debate" is not possible. To the rest reading this, I wonder what solutions there are to making access to services, workplaces and leisure facilities that would work better? A proper transport strategy for the town or one that is piecemeal and favours few ? Any ideas?[/p][/quote]It is because you used an example that was for maybe 2 weeks of the year, hardly balanced, and to quote " queue of 30 single occupied vehicles. i'm not sure you can blame the buses for that, rather that society has become wedded to an unsustainable car-culture." quite unbalanced. btw if you read my earlier comments you would see i'm not "all pro cars" but I am "all pro good service" Folkestone Saint

10:50pm Tue 31 Dec 13

keepontriking says...

So, simple question, who do you 'blame' the congestion on?

Who is causing those 30 single-occupancy vehicles to hold that bus up?

And what is your remedy?

While you are pondering that, Happy New Year.
So, simple question, who do you 'blame' the congestion on? Who is causing those 30 single-occupancy vehicles to hold that bus up? And what is your remedy? While you are pondering that, Happy New Year. keepontriking

3:18pm Wed 1 Jan 14

jonone says...

keepontriking wrote:
So, simple question, who do you 'blame' the congestion on?

Who is causing those 30 single-occupancy vehicles to hold that bus up?

And what is your remedy?

While you are pondering that, Happy New Year.
Presumably the 30 single occupancy vehicles are caused by 30 people who do not have a decent public transport link or are too far to cycle.

For example, for me to use public transport would require either a 20 min walk, 20 min train and 30 min walk, or 10 min bus, 20 min train, 10 min bus and 10 min walk. Or I can drive in 30 mins for less cost. For my wife, public transport would involve a 20 min bus journey to drop our daughter at her child minder, another 20 min bus journey back, a 30+ min train journey and God knows what the other end, maybe an hour's walk as I don't know what bus provision there is.

We can't afford to live where I work and wouldn't want to live where she works.

Not too tough a mental challenge to work out.
[quote][p][bold]keepontriking[/bold] wrote: So, simple question, who do you 'blame' the congestion on? Who is causing those 30 single-occupancy vehicles to hold that bus up? And what is your remedy? While you are pondering that, Happy New Year.[/p][/quote]Presumably the 30 single occupancy vehicles are caused by 30 people who do not have a decent public transport link or are too far to cycle. For example, for me to use public transport would require either a 20 min walk, 20 min train and 30 min walk, or 10 min bus, 20 min train, 10 min bus and 10 min walk. Or I can drive in 30 mins for less cost. For my wife, public transport would involve a 20 min bus journey to drop our daughter at her child minder, another 20 min bus journey back, a 30+ min train journey and God knows what the other end, maybe an hour's walk as I don't know what bus provision there is. We can't afford to live where I work and wouldn't want to live where she works. Not too tough a mental challenge to work out. jonone

3:19pm Wed 1 Jan 14

jonone says...

I have to say, I am still curious why people think a working man who uses public transport doesn't deserve a decent service. Mysterious....
I have to say, I am still curious why people think a working man who uses public transport doesn't deserve a decent service. Mysterious.... jonone

3:33pm Wed 1 Jan 14

CEE001 says...

jonone wrote:
I have to say, I am still curious why people think a working man who uses public transport doesn't deserve a decent service. Mysterious....
Me too jonone!
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: I have to say, I am still curious why people think a working man who uses public transport doesn't deserve a decent service. Mysterious....[/p][/quote]Me too jonone! CEE001

3:36pm Wed 1 Jan 14

keepontriking says...

Me too.
But the "decent service" can be made unworkable by external influences.
In most cases this is caused by excessive congestion that could be mitigated if there was both the personal and the political will.
Me too. But the "decent service" can be made unworkable by external influences. In most cases this is caused by excessive congestion that could be mitigated if there was both the personal and the political will. keepontriking

6:30pm Wed 1 Jan 14

jonone says...

keepontriking wrote:
Me too.
But the "decent service" can be made unworkable by external influences.
In most cases this is caused by excessive congestion that could be mitigated if there was both the personal and the political will.
Not sure what politics have got to do with it. Plus timetables can be adapted to account for other factors.

Much of the congestion in Basingstoke is caused not just by traffic volumes but by poor road layout and design. There are a whole raft of improvements that could be made to smooth car travel, which would have a positive knock on effect to all other road users. Black Dam for example causes chaos and I do not see the proposed changes improving it. A flyover would have much better impact, or a western bypass taking through traffic to and from Reading away from Basingstoke. Elsewhere, lane remarking would improve capacity (Ringway South approaching Winchester Road roundabout for example) and traffic flow and traffic light rephasing could do a lot too - too many places where traffic lights turn green when the next set is still red.

But people prefer to criticise car drivers and make out they are lazy and selfish and try and restrict them without offering alternatives.
[quote][p][bold]keepontriking[/bold] wrote: Me too. But the "decent service" can be made unworkable by external influences. In most cases this is caused by excessive congestion that could be mitigated if there was both the personal and the political will.[/p][/quote]Not sure what politics have got to do with it. Plus timetables can be adapted to account for other factors. Much of the congestion in Basingstoke is caused not just by traffic volumes but by poor road layout and design. There are a whole raft of improvements that could be made to smooth car travel, which would have a positive knock on effect to all other road users. Black Dam for example causes chaos and I do not see the proposed changes improving it. A flyover would have much better impact, or a western bypass taking through traffic to and from Reading away from Basingstoke. Elsewhere, lane remarking would improve capacity (Ringway South approaching Winchester Road roundabout for example) and traffic flow and traffic light rephasing could do a lot too - too many places where traffic lights turn green when the next set is still red. But people prefer to criticise car drivers and make out they are lazy and selfish and try and restrict them without offering alternatives. jonone

6:50pm Wed 1 Jan 14

keepontriking says...

Car journeys are on average 6-7 miles in length. In a heavily congested urban area it makes sense to look at and promote alternatives for short journeys, especially those under 5 miles - most in Basingstoke.
In the OP complaint about buses, a regular 12 minute bus frequency is certainly good, so what causes the service problems?
Is it not sensible to address those?

How about increasing Park and Rides, introducing bus lanes, providing tax incentives to employers who provide support for season tickets or car-sharing schemes, introducing electric bike pools?

These are not making out that car drivers are lazy and selfish but are examples of ways to make improvements for all, otherwise the pesent short-term thinking will lead to gridlock and a breakdown in the town's economic and social make-up.

And yes it is (partly) political as most of these ideas are an anethma to Conservatives - the ruling body at Hampshire and Basingstoke (BTW I am wholly non-political). Building more roads creates more traffic (M25 good proof) but it is the preferred option as it it the major construction companies and motor manufacturers that benefit, not the poor chap stuck in the traffic jam.
Car journeys are on average 6-7 miles in length. In a heavily congested urban area it makes sense to look at and promote alternatives for short journeys, especially those under 5 miles - most in Basingstoke. In the OP complaint about buses, a regular 12 minute bus frequency is certainly good, so what causes the service problems? Is it not sensible to address those? How about increasing Park and Rides, introducing bus lanes, providing tax incentives to employers who provide support for season tickets or car-sharing schemes, introducing electric bike pools? These are not making out that car drivers are lazy and selfish but are examples of ways to make improvements for all, otherwise the pesent short-term thinking will lead to gridlock and a breakdown in the town's economic and social make-up. And yes it is (partly) political as most of these ideas are an anethma to Conservatives - the ruling body at Hampshire and Basingstoke (BTW I am wholly non-political). Building more roads creates more traffic (M25 good proof) but it is the preferred option as it it the major construction companies and motor manufacturers that benefit, not the poor chap stuck in the traffic jam. keepontriking

12:24pm Thu 2 Jan 14

jonone says...

My decision to make a journey depends on the purpose of the journey. If I know I am going to be buying many items in town, I will drive. If we are just going in for a look about, we may walk or take the bus (Though the last time we took the Jazz 3 from Popley, we had to enjoy a lovely local unleashing foul mouthed abuse on someone for - ironically - complaining that the bus was late! Wasn't a pleasant experience and no-one takes that into account with the "pleasure" of using public transport!). Mine and my wife's average journey to/from work is 20 miles each way and I have stated the public transport alternatives - neither of us can expect public transport tailor made to our circumstances!

You forget that when people are stuck in traffic, the buses (which can be up to every 10 mins) and trains (several times an hour to various destinations) are packed solid! Public transport is at high capacity as it is!

Road capacity does need expansion, no matter what the anti-car people think, but that increase does need to allow for bus lanes and cycle lanes. These cannot be introduced in many places without the roads being improved/expanded.

And if significant cycle lane capacity is introduced, cyclists need to be mandated to use them.
My decision to make a journey depends on the purpose of the journey. If I know I am going to be buying many items in town, I will drive. If we are just going in for a look about, we may walk or take the bus (Though the last time we took the Jazz 3 from Popley, we had to enjoy a lovely local unleashing foul mouthed abuse on someone for - ironically - complaining that the bus was late! Wasn't a pleasant experience and no-one takes that into account with the "pleasure" of using public transport!). Mine and my wife's average journey to/from work is 20 miles each way and I have stated the public transport alternatives - neither of us can expect public transport tailor made to our circumstances! You forget that when people are stuck in traffic, the buses (which can be up to every 10 mins) and trains (several times an hour to various destinations) are packed solid! Public transport is at high capacity as it is! Road capacity does need expansion, no matter what the anti-car people think, but that increase does need to allow for bus lanes and cycle lanes. These cannot be introduced in many places without the roads being improved/expanded. And if significant cycle lane capacity is introduced, cyclists need to be mandated to use them. jonone

12:37pm Thu 2 Jan 14

keepontriking says...

Everyone has their own personal wishes and situations (you do, I do), but traffic needs are wider. Roads do not need expansion if the spaces are reallocated - and that's not being "anti-car" in fact it is pro-transport and in fact capacities can be improved.
That's something our UK planners have been left behind in, while countries like the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark have moved rapidly ahead with advanced thinking.
Two very good examples to look at are the results of the "Stop de Kindermoord" in the Netherlands which revolutionised traffic planning, and the work by the late Hans Monderman.
The UK is light years behind in terms of traffic planning, highway design and road safety and I fear will pay for it.
Everyone has their own personal wishes and situations (you do, I do), but traffic needs are wider. Roads do not need expansion if the spaces are reallocated - and that's not being "anti-car" in fact it is pro-transport and in fact capacities can be improved. That's something our UK planners have been left behind in, while countries like the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark have moved rapidly ahead with advanced thinking. Two very good examples to look at are the results of the "Stop de Kindermoord" in the Netherlands which revolutionised traffic planning, and the work by the late Hans Monderman. The UK is light years behind in terms of traffic planning, highway design and road safety and I fear will pay for it. keepontriking

3:29pm Thu 2 Jan 14

laurence86 says...

Why doesn’t he just get the earlier bus? People who have the longest journey to work will normally be the first people in to the office as they have to build in a safety margin for delays. Personally if I was his boss I would have pulled him up over it, chronic lateness is more to do with the individual than the transport system. You have to allow for the worst case scenario, if you get there earlier you can always have a coffee and read the gazette before you start work.
Why doesn’t he just get the earlier bus? People who have the longest journey to work will normally be the first people in to the office as they have to build in a safety margin for delays. Personally if I was his boss I would have pulled him up over it, chronic lateness is more to do with the individual than the transport system. You have to allow for the worst case scenario, if you get there earlier you can always have a coffee and read the gazette before you start work. laurence86

3:32pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Sam_Walker123456 says...

Cards on the table: I walk a lot, I drive a lot more, sometimes use a bike and hardly ever use public transport. If I tried to get to work by public transport it would involve a walk, a bus, a train, another train, another bus and finally another walk. It would take over two and half hours, if everything went right, and cost me thousands of pounds a year. So I use a car which takes anything from 45 minutes to 2 hours, so I allow for 2 hours.
Stephen Dorey is complaining because the bus is regularly late. Sorry, but I would catch the earlier bus, get to work early, make myself a cup of coffee and either relax or start work. And it is only costing him £12.50* per week!!!
*I went online because I could not believe how cheap this service is and could not find a price as high as £12.50 for Basingstoke Megaride - but that is probably because I am not familiar with it.
Cards on the table: I walk a lot, I drive a lot more, sometimes use a bike and hardly ever use public transport. If I tried to get to work by public transport it would involve a walk, a bus, a train, another train, another bus and finally another walk. It would take over two and half hours, if everything went right, and cost me thousands of pounds a year. So I use a car which takes anything from 45 minutes to 2 hours, so I allow for 2 hours. Stephen Dorey is complaining because the bus is regularly late. Sorry, but I would catch the earlier bus, get to work early, make myself a cup of coffee and either relax or start work. And it is only costing him £12.50* per week!!! *I went online because I could not believe how cheap this service is and could not find a price as high as £12.50 for Basingstoke Megaride - but that is probably because I am not familiar with it. Sam_Walker123456

3:34pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Sam_Walker123456 says...

Sorry Laurence86 - I must have been wriiting my comment at the same time as you were writing yours. Glad to see we agree.
Sorry Laurence86 - I must have been wriiting my comment at the same time as you were writing yours. Glad to see we agree. Sam_Walker123456

3:41pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Folkestone Saint says...

keepontriking wrote:
Everyone has their own personal wishes and situations (you do, I do), but traffic needs are wider. Roads do not need expansion if the spaces are reallocated - and that's not being "anti-car" in fact it is pro-transport and in fact capacities can be improved.
That's something our UK planners have been left behind in, while countries like the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark have moved rapidly ahead with advanced thinking.
Two very good examples to look at are the results of the "Stop de Kindermoord" in the Netherlands which revolutionised traffic planning, and the work by the late Hans Monderman.
The UK is light years behind in terms of traffic planning, highway design and road safety and I fear will pay for it.
You are correct about road expansion, the M25 is the most abused road in Britain, I have been on the inside lane in a speed resticted mini-bus and have passed cars going slower out in lane 3 and 4, the M26 (a 2 lane motorway) has less congestion because people use it (almost always) correctly. As for any suggestions re Basingstoke does it have a park and ride, if not it should.
p.s. writing to me at 22.50 on new years eve, you need to get out more, wanna lift?
[quote][p][bold]keepontriking[/bold] wrote: Everyone has their own personal wishes and situations (you do, I do), but traffic needs are wider. Roads do not need expansion if the spaces are reallocated - and that's not being "anti-car" in fact it is pro-transport and in fact capacities can be improved. That's something our UK planners have been left behind in, while countries like the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark have moved rapidly ahead with advanced thinking. Two very good examples to look at are the results of the "Stop de Kindermoord" in the Netherlands which revolutionised traffic planning, and the work by the late Hans Monderman. The UK is light years behind in terms of traffic planning, highway design and road safety and I fear will pay for it.[/p][/quote]You are correct about road expansion, the M25 is the most abused road in Britain, I have been on the inside lane in a speed resticted mini-bus and have passed cars going slower out in lane 3 and 4, the M26 (a 2 lane motorway) has less congestion because people use it (almost always) correctly. As for any suggestions re Basingstoke does it have a park and ride, if not it should. p.s. writing to me at 22.50 on new years eve, you need to get out more, wanna lift? Folkestone Saint

4:00pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Buster Preciation says...

Now then children! On the basis that road demand will expand to fill the road space we will always be at a level of equilibrium which will be unacceptable to half the road users. Local authorities and central government are well aware of the pros and cons of building new roads and give or take the occasional wrong decision, for whatever reason, are always on a hiding to nothing.
We started to evolve lifestyles that relied on the car when there was plenty of space and now it has caught up with us. We chose to live, work, shop and play in locations that required the car and now we rely on it and use our choices to justify it.
How many times do we hear people say I have to use a car because I work 20 miles away and there is no bus? A couple of generations ago we wouldn't have made the choice to work 20 miles away, chosen an out-of-catchment school or chose to live in a remote village because the car wasn't an option.
The fault lies in no long term planning by government or everyone. And there is no solution.
Now then children! On the basis that road demand will expand to fill the road space we will always be at a level of equilibrium which will be unacceptable to half the road users. Local authorities and central government are well aware of the pros and cons of building new roads and give or take the occasional wrong decision, for whatever reason, are always on a hiding to nothing. We started to evolve lifestyles that relied on the car when there was plenty of space and now it has caught up with us. We chose to live, work, shop and play in locations that required the car and now we rely on it and use our choices to justify it. How many times do we hear people say I have to use a car because I work 20 miles away and there is no bus? A couple of generations ago we wouldn't have made the choice to work 20 miles away, chosen an out-of-catchment school or chose to live in a remote village because the car wasn't an option. The fault lies in no long term planning by government or everyone. And there is no solution. Buster Preciation

4:30pm Thu 2 Jan 14

jonone says...

laurence86 wrote:
Why doesn’t he just get the earlier bus? People who have the longest journey to work will normally be the first people in to the office as they have to build in a safety margin for delays. Personally if I was his boss I would have pulled him up over it, chronic lateness is more to do with the individual than the transport system. You have to allow for the worst case scenario, if you get there earlier you can always have a coffee and read the gazette before you start work.
So, again, it is completely acceptable for Stagecoach to provide a poor service. I do not know the circumstances of his job or who his employer is, but what if his workplace is not actually open if he arrived 20 mins early?

A lot of commentators who clearly have nice easy lives!
[quote][p][bold]laurence86[/bold] wrote: Why doesn’t he just get the earlier bus? People who have the longest journey to work will normally be the first people in to the office as they have to build in a safety margin for delays. Personally if I was his boss I would have pulled him up over it, chronic lateness is more to do with the individual than the transport system. You have to allow for the worst case scenario, if you get there earlier you can always have a coffee and read the gazette before you start work.[/p][/quote]So, again, it is completely acceptable for Stagecoach to provide a poor service. I do not know the circumstances of his job or who his employer is, but what if his workplace is not actually open if he arrived 20 mins early? A lot of commentators who clearly have nice easy lives! jonone

4:35pm Thu 2 Jan 14

jonone says...

It was actually using Stagecoach elsewhere in the UK that helped encourage me to learn to drive. Drivers used to saunter out of the staff room at the published departure time with their cuppa, spend 5 mins setting themselves up onboard and then welcomed passengers on. By welcomed, I mean treat with disgust and disdain - many was the time someone would try and buy a ticket with a note and have "No change" shouted at them.

Ironically, when I passed my test, I moved job locations to somewhere I couldn't catch a bus to!
It was actually using Stagecoach elsewhere in the UK that helped encourage me to learn to drive. Drivers used to saunter out of the staff room at the published departure time with their cuppa, spend 5 mins setting themselves up onboard and then welcomed passengers on. By welcomed, I mean treat with disgust and disdain - many was the time someone would try and buy a ticket with a note and have "No change" shouted at them. Ironically, when I passed my test, I moved job locations to somewhere I couldn't catch a bus to! jonone

4:43pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Sam_Walker123456 says...

jonone I don't think anyone is saying it is completely acceptable for Stagecoach to provide a poor service. But it is unrealistic to expect the service to run without hitch given the state of our road system and the number of vehicles using it in the rush hour. In Mr Dorey's position I know I would have enough pride and self-respect to do all I could to get to work on time, even if this meant standing outside work for 20 minutes in the wet and cold. At the moment he is standing waiting for the bus so all he would do is move his wait to the work end of the journey. I would always prefer to be early than late.
jonone I don't think anyone is saying it is completely acceptable for Stagecoach to provide a poor service. But it is unrealistic to expect the service to run without hitch given the state of our road system and the number of vehicles using it in the rush hour. In Mr Dorey's position I know I would have enough pride and self-respect to do all I could to get to work on time, even if this meant standing outside work for 20 minutes in the wet and cold. At the moment he is standing waiting for the bus so all he would do is move his wait to the work end of the journey. I would always prefer to be early than late. Sam_Walker123456

5:04pm Thu 2 Jan 14

robertspet8 says...

laurence86 wrote:
Why doesn’t he just get the earlier bus? People who have the longest journey to work will normally be the first people in to the office as they have to build in a safety margin for delays. Personally if I was his boss I would have pulled him up over it, chronic lateness is more to do with the individual than the transport system. You have to allow for the worst case scenario, if you get there earlier you can always have a coffee and read the gazette before you start work.
How right you are. Where I work those of us who have a long commute to work are nearly always the first in and the only ones to get in when we have snow. The ones who live locally are often late blaming everyone else but themselves. Many could walk or cycle to work in less time than it takes them using public transport. I agree with your implication that regular lateness is as a result of the attitude of the individuals involved - they could be on time if they wanted. It is too easier to blame the buses or trains rather than get up 20 minutes earlier or cycle or walk.
[quote][p][bold]laurence86[/bold] wrote: Why doesn’t he just get the earlier bus? People who have the longest journey to work will normally be the first people in to the office as they have to build in a safety margin for delays. Personally if I was his boss I would have pulled him up over it, chronic lateness is more to do with the individual than the transport system. You have to allow for the worst case scenario, if you get there earlier you can always have a coffee and read the gazette before you start work.[/p][/quote]How right you are. Where I work those of us who have a long commute to work are nearly always the first in and the only ones to get in when we have snow. The ones who live locally are often late blaming everyone else but themselves. Many could walk or cycle to work in less time than it takes them using public transport. I agree with your implication that regular lateness is as a result of the attitude of the individuals involved - they could be on time if they wanted. It is too easier to blame the buses or trains rather than get up 20 minutes earlier or cycle or walk. robertspet8

7:55pm Thu 2 Jan 14

deepinsight says...

Mr Dorey said, "People are always complaining".

Judging by the comments posted above he is absolutely right !!!
Mr Dorey said, "People are always complaining". Judging by the comments posted above he is absolutely right !!! deepinsight

2:21pm Fri 3 Jan 14

iamapayne says...

'A BASINGSTOKE dad has complained that he is constantly late for work because the bus he catches is rarely on time.'
Take control of your life Stephen and stop blaming others for your own difficiencies.
You can blame Stagecoach for you being late the first day or two but after that it is your fault! You know the bus is rarely on time so catch an earlier one.
Stagecoach is responsible for their buses not running on time but you are fully responsible for getting to work late. If I was your boss I would have no truck with your lame excuse and you would be on a final warning by the end of your first month in the job.
'A BASINGSTOKE dad has complained that he is constantly late for work because the bus he catches is rarely on time.' Take control of your life Stephen and stop blaming others for your own difficiencies. You can blame Stagecoach for you being late the first day or two but after that it is your fault! You know the bus is rarely on time so catch an earlier one. Stagecoach is responsible for their buses not running on time but you are fully responsible for getting to work late. If I was your boss I would have no truck with your lame excuse and you would be on a final warning by the end of your first month in the job. iamapayne

3:05pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Folkestone Saint says...

After supporting him initially I have to ask, If they run every 12 minutes how can you be 20 minutes late or 20 minutes early? the maths just don't work out , no more excuses Stephen you have to catch the earlier one or buy a moped and look after yourself rather than rely on others to run your life for you whilst you still have your job
After supporting him initially I have to ask, If they run every 12 minutes how can you be 20 minutes late or 20 minutes early? the maths just don't work out , no more excuses Stephen you have to catch the earlier one or buy a moped and look after yourself rather than rely on others to run your life for you whilst you still have your job Folkestone Saint

6:03pm Fri 3 Jan 14

jonone says...

Folkestone Saint wrote:
After supporting him initially I have to ask, If they run every 12 minutes how can you be 20 minutes late or 20 minutes early? the maths just don't work out , no more excuses Stephen you have to catch the earlier one or buy a moped and look after yourself rather than rely on others to run your life for you whilst you still have your job
Under 30 seconds on Google points out that the service runs every 12 minutes during the day, but every 20 mins first thing. In addition, re-reading the article shows that no mention was ever made of the 12 mins service there.

Wonderful what taking care to understand facts before rants does!
[quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: After supporting him initially I have to ask, If they run every 12 minutes how can you be 20 minutes late or 20 minutes early? the maths just don't work out , no more excuses Stephen you have to catch the earlier one or buy a moped and look after yourself rather than rely on others to run your life for you whilst you still have your job[/p][/quote]Under 30 seconds on Google points out that the service runs every 12 minutes during the day, but every 20 mins first thing. In addition, re-reading the article shows that no mention was ever made of the 12 mins service there. Wonderful what taking care to understand facts before rants does! jonone

7:15pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Folkestone Saint says...

jonone wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
After supporting him initially I have to ask, If they run every 12 minutes how can you be 20 minutes late or 20 minutes early? the maths just don't work out , no more excuses Stephen you have to catch the earlier one or buy a moped and look after yourself rather than rely on others to run your life for you whilst you still have your job
Under 30 seconds on Google points out that the service runs every 12 minutes during the day, but every 20 mins first thing. In addition, re-reading the article shows that no mention was ever made of the 12 mins service there.

Wonderful what taking care to understand facts before rants does!
I did, my personal troll, (Wonderful what taking care to understand facts before rants does!)" and it says route 1 service runs every 12 minutes except weekends, " as for ranting how about your quote " Bus company provides p*ss-poor service" that is a rant, I doubt you are big enough to apologise though.
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: After supporting him initially I have to ask, If they run every 12 minutes how can you be 20 minutes late or 20 minutes early? the maths just don't work out , no more excuses Stephen you have to catch the earlier one or buy a moped and look after yourself rather than rely on others to run your life for you whilst you still have your job[/p][/quote]Under 30 seconds on Google points out that the service runs every 12 minutes during the day, but every 20 mins first thing. In addition, re-reading the article shows that no mention was ever made of the 12 mins service there. Wonderful what taking care to understand facts before rants does![/p][/quote]I did, my personal troll, (Wonderful what taking care to understand facts before rants does!)" and it says route 1 service runs every 12 minutes except weekends, " as for ranting how about your quote " Bus company provides p*ss-poor service" that is a rant, I doubt you are big enough to apologise though. Folkestone Saint

8:37am Sun 12 Jan 14

GuyOfBasingstokia says...

The only way to make the buses in Basingstoke run on time, is for Stagecoach to work with the council in setting up bus lanes which are enforced, fining drivers that drive in exsisting bus lanes. The council on its part can re-time some of the traffic lights in the town centre, especially Eastrop roundabout (it's idiotic that the exit from the bus station only allows 2 sometimes 3 buses out during rush hour before changing back to red). As for the fares, I'd love to know how Stagecoach can justify a Basingstoke Megarider costing the same as a Manchester Megarider. The two places are hardly comparable. Why should bus users leave earlier to get to work? I don't see private car users leaving earlier for work in order to help buses beat the rush hour traffic.
The only way to make the buses in Basingstoke run on time, is for Stagecoach to work with the council in setting up bus lanes which are enforced, fining drivers that drive in exsisting bus lanes. The council on its part can re-time some of the traffic lights in the town centre, especially Eastrop roundabout (it's idiotic that the exit from the bus station only allows 2 sometimes 3 buses out during rush hour before changing back to red). As for the fares, I'd love to know how Stagecoach can justify a Basingstoke Megarider costing the same as a Manchester Megarider. The two places are hardly comparable. Why should bus users leave earlier to get to work? I don't see private car users leaving earlier for work in order to help buses beat the rush hour traffic. GuyOfBasingstokia

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree