When news happens, text AND and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
One of Winchester's oldest residents choked to death
2:16pm Thursday 15th August 2013 in Winchester
ONE of Winchester's oldest residents choked to death, an inquest heard.
Blanche Rogers was 108-years-old and had been living at Winchester’s Abbotts Barton care home when she died on June 18.
Several members of staff from the Colten Care-run home, where Miss Rogers had lived for eight years, attended the inquest in Winchester on Wednesday (August 14).
Carer Paul Seymour, and nurse Shelley Ford, came to Miss Rogers’ aid after hearing her coughing in her room, but she died shortly after.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, assistant deputy central Hampshire coroner, Sarah Whitby, said: “She suffered a choking episode while eating her lunch and despite assistance from staff, she suffered breathing difficulties and died shortly afterwards.
“I’m quite clear in my mind that there was no neglect.”
Born in London in 1904, Miss Rogers moved to Romsey shortly after the Second World War to live with her sister, later relocating to Winchester.
She was never married – a fact she pointed to when asked the secret to her longevity by an Echo reporter at her birthday bash last year.
Miss Rogers worked as a bookkeeper and was a keen sculptress in her spare time, keeping some of her bronzes in her room.
Staff at the inquest spoke fondly of her, recalling a fun, independent woman with a sharp mind.
Denise Smyth, the home manager, said: “She was probably the most alert resident in the home and won every scrabble game going.”
Comments are closed on this article.