The annual Golf Swappers Invitational Trophy took place at the Hampshire GC on Friday June 6 and in this event the ladies invite a senior gentleman to partner them in a greensomes stroke play format.

They may not invite a husband or partner or a gentleman they have previously invited and 28 participated on a beautiful morning, unlike the previous year when there was torrential rain and the competition had to be postponed. The winners of the event were Glennis Robson and the ageless Dean Creswell who returned a net 73 and the runners-up were Lyn Kilburn and Mick Mumford with a net 74.

Paul Humphrey (13) proved to be the Division 1 winner in the June Medal with a fine round of net 69, which sees his handicap reduced to 12. Derek Woodman (7) continued with his fine form of late to gain the runner-up spot with a net 71 and Richard Wright (6) finished third with a net 72. Division 2 winner was Dean Prosser (16) and he only required a net 72 to win. Kevin Galliot (21) missed out on winning on count back with his net 72 and Dave Stokes (16) was third with a net 77.

The Sunday competition saw Steve Decosimo (11) finishing on top of the pile in Division 1 with a net 73 and Gareth Hughes (10) was second with net 74. Club captain Barry Thorne (13) was third with a net 75. Jordan Brown (19) continued with his fine form of late to land the Division 2 prize with a best of the weekend net 67, and his handicap is now 17. Charlie Hughes (15) was five strokes behind in second place with a net 72 and David Miller (16) finished third with net 74. Mike Battison (15) proved that golf is still very much a game of honesty and integrity with his actions while playing in the Saturday Division 2 competition. A ruling was made on the first green by his playing group and Mike returned his scorecard at the end of his round, which placed him in first place. However, he looked into the rules that evening and he decided that the ruling made at the time was wrong and should have incurred a penalty. He rang the competition secretary and disqualified himself, which was a noble action, and it confirms that good sportsmanship in golf is still alive and well.

Captain Ray Neath led his seniors team in a friendly away to West Berks recently and the 5-1 defeat was not what he was looking for. The team was pleased to welcome back Mike LeGood after a three year absence and he was delighted to be playing. Mike played with Ray in the first game out, in which they were four down after five holes but they won the next two holes to reduce the deficit to two down but lost a further hole before the turn. They won the tenth but could not sustain their efforts and finally went down 4 and 2. Alan Dixon and Bob Houghton, who have been playing well in their matches together, were the next pair out. They looked as though they would win as they had led from the second to the tenth but the West Berks pair picked up their game to come back and win two up.

John Dicks and Richard Hale were the next pair out and they too went down 3 and 2. The length of the course and numerous woods around the fairways were taking their toll. Vince Klass and Dean Creswell were nip and tuck with their opponents however a couple of pars and a birdie saw them also lose 3 and 2. John Dawson and Ian McLeod lost 7 and 6 while the only result of the day in favour of the Hampshire went to Barrie Thompson and John Rogers who won a tight game 2 and 1. The West Berks course was the second longest in England when it was first built and it had the longest par five in England at that time. The tightness of the course, its length and the woodlands took its toll on the Hampshire team.