Town go down to late penalty in friendly

Town go down to late penalty in last friendly

Town go down to late penalty in last friendly

First published in Sport
Last updated

Ashford Town (Middx) 3 Andover Town 2.

For a variety of reasons Town boss Neil Benson had a smaller squad than usual to select from for a game against a club relegated from the Southern League (Central) last season.

All too often this experience showed but the Town were not overawed with several hoping to impress before the team is selected for next Saturday's opening league fixture at Blackfield and Langley.

Andover were prominent early on and only a reflex save by the goalkeeper prevented Claudio Herbert's header finding the net after seven minutes. There then followed a period of pressure from the home side but the finishing was wayward although Mike Weatherall made two excellent saves. However he was well beaten when following a short corner a pin point cross found a home player at the far post who produced an excellent finish. Michael Dixon was one of three changes made at half-time and within 20 seconds of the restart he scored the equaliser. Andover began to enjoy their best period of the game and the second goal arrived when Dixon's header converted Lewis Benson's free-kick. A period of sustained pressure by the home side followed with Charlie Gunson clearing off the line before the visiting defence was opened up and a drive from the edge of the area again brought the score level. The winning goal arrived just four minutes from time from the penalty spot to give a disappointing result after taking the lead but plenty of positives to ponder on the long trip back down the A30.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree