Late goal takes Jam Boys' unbeaten run

Andover Advertiser: Luke Walker's late equaliser was not enough to preserve a point at Blackfield and Langley last night Luke Walker's late equaliser was not enough to preserve a point at Blackfield and Langley last night

Blackfield and Langley 2 Whitchurch United 1.

Nathan Lynch’s scrappy goal seven minutes from time relieved Whitchurch of their 15 match unbeaten record on Tuesday night in the drizzle of the reigning champions’ ground at Gang Warily.

In truth it was a tame ending to what has been a fine run as an understrength Jam Boys rarely looked at their best and with the home side playing under new boss Kevin Gibbens for the first time they were always up against it.

With three ex-Lions in their line up, Blackfield and Langley settled quickly and Craig Feeney and Nathan Lynch both brought fine saves out of Alex Thompson before in Whitchurch’s first real break Isaac Sedu and Pa Touray combined before the former was crowded out.

Thompson then denied Neil Williams with another fine save before tipping over a long drive from Mike Hubbard as the home side dominated long spells.

The pressure told just before the half hour when a long ball bounced awkwardly in front of Thompson and his attenpt to chest it down was intercepted by Feeney who tucked away the free ball.

Although creating little Whitchurch were always in the game and on the hour boss Jim Macey swapped Shane Lock for Tom Lockyer and within minutes Nic Turpin rifled in a right foot shot a second after the referee had blown for handball and the goal was chalked off.

Luke Walker went on a mazy run which ended with a tame finish but he was to have better luck with ten minutes left as his 25 yarder squirmed through the legs of ex-Lion keeper Rory Anderson for what looked to be the goal to preserve the long run.

It wasn’t to be as three minutes later Lynch scrambled in the winner with the defence appealing for offside.

With eight yellow cards sprinkled liberally around it was inevitable one would turn into a red and it duly arrived late on when home defender TJ Cuthbertson was sent off for timewasting at a throw in.

United did not have time to exploit the situation and the run was gone but Macey’s side must now focus on what will be an exciting next few weeks in the league and various cups.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree