Medical watchdogs will rule whether a former Army doctor is guilty of misconduct over the death of Iraqi detainee Baha Mousa.

Derek Keilloh, who is appearing before the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS), denies a cover-up and claimed he only spotted dried blood around the nose of the hotel receptionist after he was arrested and beaten by British soldiers in Basra in 2003.

Hooded with a sandbag for nearly 24 hours, Mr Mousa suffered 93 separate injuries including fractured ribs and a broken nose during the final 36 hours of his life in the custody of the 1st Battalion, Queen's Lancashire Regiment (1 QLR).

Dr Keilloh - the senior medic on duty who treated Mr Mousa, 26, on the night he died - has repeatedly denied any knowledge of such injuries.

Dr Keilloh, who now works as a GP at Mayford House Surgery in Northallerton, North Yorkshire, denies dishonesty and misconduct in his treatment of Mr Mousa and other detainees and by way of evidence he gave at courts martial and a public inquiry into the incident.

It is claimed that Dr Keilloh maintained four times under oath that he did not see anything untoward and so failed to act with the "openness and honesty" expected of a doctor, it is alleged.

A public inquiry concluded Mr Mousa's death was caused by a combination of his weakened physical state - due to factors including the heat, exhaustion, his previous injuries and the hooding and stress positions he was subjected to by British troops - and a final struggle with his guards at the detention centre at Army HQ in Basra.

The MPTS hearing began earlier this year and resumed on Sunday with a ruling to be given by a panel hearing the case. In June the hearing was told Dr Keilloh was, at the time, a 28-year-old captain new to his post of regimental medical officer of the QLR, having been in the job only eight weeks.

After a "very short" handover, he took over the medical team of the QLR at their HQ in the former headquarters of Saddam Hussein's Baath Party in war-torn Basra City.

Ahmed Al Matairi, who was detained with Mr Mousa, told the tribunal Dr Keilloh was a "criminal" who ignored the cries of men being tortured. Mr Matairi described hearing Baha Mousa's final words as he was beaten and tortured. He said Mr Mousa told his tormentors: "I am innocent. I am not a Baathist. My wife died six months ago. Blood! Blood! I am going to die. My children are going to become orphans."