Campaigner slams CPS over charges

Andover Advertiser: Caroline Criado-Perez has condemned the Crown Prosecution Service for telling the press about charges in her Twitter abuse case before informing her Caroline Criado-Perez has condemned the Crown Prosecution Service for telling the press about charges in her Twitter abuse case before informing her

A gender-equality campaigner has said she will complain to the Crown Prosecution Service after details about her Twitter abuse case were released to the public before she was told of them.

Two people have been charged with improper use of a communications network after an ''avalanche'' of abuse was directed at Caroline Criado-Perez on the social networking site after she successfully campaigned for an image of Jane Austen to feature on the new £10 banknote.

Ms Criado-Perez said prosecutors has failed to contact her to inform her of their decision before it was released publicly.

She told the Guardian: "I am upset. We agreed a procedure. I found out from people on Twitter that charges were to be brought. I do not know who has been released and I would have thought that was information I should have had.

"I can't tell you anything other than what the press release tells you. The CPS will be receiving a formal complaint because the way they have handled it is appalling."

Ms Criado-Perez told the newspaper that the CPS failed to call her before 1pm on Friday, as was agreed, and another promise to speak yesterday was also broken.

She said she heard nothing from the CPS until about 8.45pm yesterday, despite the CPS saying it had already written to her.

Ms Criado-Perez said in a tweet: "Well that's pretty awesome. CPS informing press about charges ahead of me. About the level of victim-support I've grown to expect."

Two people, Isabella Sorley, 23, from Newcastle, and John Nimmo, 25, from South Shields, have both been charged with improper use of a communications network under Section 127 of the Communications Act, the CPS said.

They will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on January 7.

There was insufficient evidence to charge a third suspect who was also alleged to have sent offensive messages to Ms Criado-Perez.

Prosecution of a suspect who allegedly sent offensive messages to MP Stella Creasy, who was said to have been targeted when she came to the defence of Ms Criado-Perez, was dropped as it was not in the public interest, the CPS said.

It also asked police to carry out further investigation regarding a fifth suspect before any decisions are made about charges.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree