Father's manslaughter plea accepted

Andover Advertiser: Mark Sandland pleaded guilty to manslaughter, Southwark Crown Court heard Mark Sandland pleaded guilty to manslaughter, Southwark Crown Court heard

A father who claimed he suffered an epileptic seizure when his baby daughter was fatally injured has admitted killing the five-week-old.

Mark Sandland, 28, from Hastings, admitted the manslaughter of his child Aimee-Rose on the grounds of lack of intent at Southwark Crown Court today.

He was originally charged with her murder, but today prosecutor Sally Howes QC confirmed that his plea to manslaughter was accepted.

She told the court: "It is following lengthy discussions with both the Crown Prosecution Service and the police, and relevant members of the family have been consulted as would be proper in such a case."

Sandland is due to be sentenced next week, and will next appear at Lewes Crown Court on Monday.

Wearing a grey suit, white shirt and glasses, he had the murder charge put to him for a second time today, having previously denied the offence at a hearing at the Old Bailey.

Answering the clerk, he said: "Not guilty, but guilty to manslaughter by reason of lack of intent."

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree