Town and Country Planning Test Valley Borough CouncilNotice ID: BOU2290257
Town and Country Planning Test Valley Borough Council
PLANNING (LISTED BUILDING AND CONSERVATION AREAS) ACT 1990
NOTIFICATION OF CONSERVATION AREA BOUNDARY AMENDMENTS ANDOVER CONSERVATION AREA
Notice is hereby given that in accordance with section 69 of the Planning (Listed Buildings & Conservation Areas) Act 1990, Test Valley Borough Council did, on 8th December 2021, and after public consultation, amend and adopt the Andover Conservation Area Boundary. The review of the conservation area boundary considered whether the areas were of special architectural or historic interest, and that it is desirable to preserve or enhance its character or appearance. All properties previously within the designated conservation area, and not listed below, remain within the conservation area designated as of 1969 and reviewed in 1984. The amendments include:
The following areas are removed from the Conservation Area:
- Savoy Close and Barratt House
- The modern terrace between Adelaide Road and Rack Close
- Hambleden House and Waverley Buildings, Waterloo Court
- The southern end of East Street (Masonic Hall, Andover Primary School & The Central Club) and the George Yard car-park
The following areas are included in the Conservation Area:
- The Commonwealth War Graves (St. Mary's churchyard)
- The Salvation Army Chapel and No. 16, Winchester Street
The principal effects of this area being included within a conservation area are as follows:
1 .The Council is under a duty to formulate and publish plans to ensure the preservation or enhancement of the area.
2. Planning permission must be obtained from the Council for the demolition of any building in the area. It is now a criminal offence to carry out demolition in a conservation area without planning permission.
3. Special publicity must be given to planning applications for development in the conservation area.
4. In carrying out any function under the planning acts (and, in particular, for determining applications for planning permission and listed building consent) the Council and the Secretary of State are required to take into account the desirability of preserving and enhancing the character and appearance of the area.
5. Six weeks' notice must be given to the Council before works are carried out to any tree in the conservation area.
The revised boundary and accompanying Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan may be found here:
Further information regarding conservation areas may be obtained from: