A FAMILY’S home has been destroyed as a fire engulfed the house in Andover, with neighbours describing the scene as “horrific”. 

Firefighters were called at 1.11am today (Friday) to King George Road where a blaze had taken hold.

The ground floor, first floor and the roof were all fully involved in the blaze with minor fire spread to a neighbouring property.

People living close to the affected home were ordered to leave their homes, while crews dealt with the fire, and were not allowed to return until 4.30am for fears that it could have spread.

A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said one person was taking to hospital after suffering from smoke inhalation.

An eyewitness, who wished not to be named, said: “We got a bang on the door saying we had to get out of the house because there was a fire and I just grabbed my son and my daughter and got out.

“It was horrific – there was just blue and orange smoke coming from the top and bottom windows.

“Flames were just gushing out, then it was bang, bang, bang and the windows had blown.”

Another neighbour said: “It was like from a film, there was flames pouring out, there were flames coming from the roof and the windows – it was like fireworks, all noises going off.”

And one resident, who was told to leave their home, said: “We woke up and we just heard banging and we thought it was fireworks, that is when they evacuated us and the house was fully ablaze.

“The top window was real trouble for the firefighters to stop, the bedroom kept igniting and then they would put it out and it would start again.”

Five fire engines attended the incident from Andover, Sutton Scotney, Winchester, Stockbridge, and Dorset and a crew from Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service.

The fire service spokesman added that an investigation is currently taking place, with police on the scene today.