A MAN has been charged with attempted murder after emergency services attended an incident near Adelaide Road on Valentine's Day.

Several police cars and an air ambulance had been present at the scene, where residents say a fight broke out in Beale's Close. Many reported seeing a kitchen knife used.

A 29-year-old man was taken to hospital with chest injuries following the attack and a 50-year-old man was arrested on suspicions of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Investigation continued over the weekend and officers confirmed this morning (Sunday) that a 50-year-old man from an adjacent street has been formally charged attempted murder.

Ahmad Hamshou, of Acre Court, Andover, has also been charged with making threats to kill and possession of a knife in a public place.

He has been remanded in custody and will appear at Basingstoke Magistrates' Court tomorrow (Monday).

The incident happened on Friday afternoon, just after 1pm.

Police were called at 1.22pm after reports of an assault in Beale's Close. Several officers attended the scene and a cordon was put in place for a number of hours while the police investigation continued.

Residents of the street later told the Advertiser they had heard "screaming" as a fight broke out.

Neighbours told one of our reporters: "I heard a noise, a fighting noise. I looked out and saw two people fighting but I didn't come out. There were so many people involved trying to part the two of them." 

One witness said they saw the man being arrested outside the Lardicake pub, in Adelaide Road. 

She told the Advertiser: "I was at the park, so could not see clearly the two people. But I saw the big police van pull up and put a man in handcuffs.

She added: "Then a load more police cars turned up with an ambulance and they put a shirtless man in the back. About five minutes later the air ambulance landed and two of the crew ran over and went off with the ambulance."

South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) has been contacted for a comment.