An unattended candle and no working smoke alarm made for a dangerous combination at a property in Durrington last week.

Firefighters from Andover attended a blaze at a Bulford Road property last Thursday morning, along with crews from Amesbury and Salisbury.

Much of the house was gutted by the flames, with images on social media showing severe damage throughout the ground floor.

Thankfully no one was hurt in the incident and all persons were accounted for.

The damage was said to have been reduced as some of the downstairs doors were closed, as noted by Amesbury Fire Station on Facebook.

A spokesperson from the fire service confirmed that the fire was started accidentally by an unattended candle.

It was put out by four breathing apparatus wearers using three main lines and two hose reel jets by 11am.

An Amesbury Fire Station spokesperson added: "Please make sure you have working smoke alarms and keep all doors shut when you leave your property or go to bed at night."