Fire crews were called to Andover on Sunday following a reported gas explosion.

Jez Rolfe was on his way home and described the sound he heard.

"We had just come back from Tesco and there was loads of people saying they could smell gas," he said.

"Then all of a sudden the was a bang.

"The fire brigade turned up then there was also another huge bang and people ran back."

A spokesman for the fire brigade confirmed they were called just before 6pm on August 2, to Cricketers Way.

"There was a gas leak in a boiler of a domestic property," the spokesman said.

"A Southern Gas Network engineer was on scene and capped the boiler.

"Tactical ventilation was used for air clearance and the stop message came in at 7.53pm."

Dan Brown, spokesman for gas distribution company SGN said: "We were called to a property in Cricketers Way, Andover by the emergency services on Sunday evening following reports of an explosion.

"Our engineers discovered an issue with the boiler at the property. We capped off the gas meter outlet and made safe, before leaving the site shortly after."