Fire crews have commended a local primary school for its response after a smoke detector was accidentally activated.

Andover fire crews attended Grateley Primary School to the east of the town at 09:20 today, where they found that staff and children alike were all following their fire procedures well.

The fire station said it “would like to say a BIG WELL DONE to ALL the children and teachers for their fire alarm procedures.

“All the children were lined up and well behaved in there classes with their teachers at the fire Assembly point. The fire marshal for the school was there to greet the incident Commander on arrival.

“All round PERFECT, well done Grateley primary school.”

The accidental activation of smoke alarms causes a significant number of callouts for fire crews across the UK.

Last year, the number of callouts for this reason was 14,713 across the entirety of England.

However, it is less than the number of callouts from burnt toast, which stood at 36,558 from 2019-2020.