It's fair to say that police have had their work cut out this year.

From enforcing Covid regulations during lockdown to the usual day-to-day operations, 2020 has been a year that everyone will remember for some time to come.

And there has been plenty of police incidents that we at The Advertiser have reported on that people will remember in years to come.

Here, we look back at four of the biggest police incidents that Andover has faced this year - from car accidents to bomb hoaxes.

1. Enham shooting

The eyes of the nation were on the small village of Upper Enham in August after a parish councillor was shot and the gunman died in a police chase.

42-year-old James Nash was killed after the broad daylight shooting on August 5 in MacCallum Road caused serious head injuries. He passed away a few days later in hospital.

His assailant, 34-year-old Alex Sartain, died near Hurstbourne Tarrant after fleeing the scene. He was involved in a police chase and crashed his motorbike on the A343.

When asked about an update on the investigation last week, a police spokesperson said: "No update on this."

Tributes were paid to both men.

Andover Advertiser: James Nash and Alex SartainJames Nash and Alex Sartain

A message from Enham Alamein Parish Council, for which James was a councillor, said they were shocked and saddened by his passing.

"James cared passionately about his community and was instrumental in many local projects," the message read.

"He was a highly respected individual and parish councillor and his contributions are a testament to his memory.

"His untimely passing has left a significant void in the village life of this close-knit community."

Another wrote: "RIP Alex Sartain. I don't have any words to describe how I feel. One day we'll meet again. Fly high, brother."

2. Double stabbing in Andover

Two men were stabbed in Andover at the end of November.

The victims, believed to be from Andover, were attacked in the Roman Road area just after 10.50pm on Sunday, November 29.

A 27-year-old man and a 35-year-old man were both found with multiple stab wounds.

Two people, a man and a woman both 39 years old were arrested and remain under investigation.

Residents described hearing screams and moans, with one of the victims said to have been able to run to Vespasian Road.

They were both taken to Southampton General Hospital.

Andover’s MP Kit Malthouse labelled the attack as “deeply alarming.”

In his statement he said: “This incident is obviously deeply alarming and I have been in communication with the local police Chief Inspector.

“There is an on-going investigation and, therefore, I’m unable to comment further at this time although I would like to extend my deep gratitude to the police, who continue to keep our streets safe in challenging circumstances.”

3. Car crashes into house

One family got a nasty surprise one summer morning after a car crashed into their house in the early hours.

A Chevrolet had left the road and smashed into the front door of a house in Locksbridge Road, Picket Piece.

Andover Advertiser: The car crashed into a house in Picket PieceThe car crashed into a house in Picket Piece

It happened just before 5.30am on July 21.

Police said that three people in the vehicle made off on foot.

They've now updated that the two arrested - a 28-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man, both from Andover - remain under investigation whilst a 17-year-old, also from Andover, was interviewed under caution.

4. Valentine's Day stabbing

A man who "wanted revenge" attacked his wife's lover on Valentine's Day.

Ahmad Hamshou attacked Yeyra Sharaf with a kitchen knife outside a flat in Beales Close.

Earlier this year a court heard that Hamshou, who had previously made a threat to harm Mr Sharaf last November, saw his wife and the victim shopping and having coffee together in Andover town centre on February 14.

Andover Advertiser: Beales Close, AndoverBeales Close, Andover

Just after 1pm, Hamshou went to Sharaf's house where he used a 22-cm long blade to attack him, leaving him with "life-threatening" injuries.

Neighbours heard “screaming” and the sound of fighting from next door, with passers-by detaining Hamshou until police arrived.

Several police cars and the air ambulance responded to the attack, with Beales Close subsequently cordoned off for a number of hours.

The court heard that Hamshou had shown “genuine remorse” for his actions and that he had been suffering from depression at the time of the incident.

The 51-year-old admitted wounding with intent and possession of a knife in a public place, and was jailed for eight years.

You can read the full story here.