Sent to prison

A MAN has been sent to prison after he was found guilty of domestic abuse of a woman in Andover last year.

Ryan Daniel Smith has been given a 12-week prison sentence after he was convicted of the assault by beating of the woman on September 13, 2020.

The 37-year-old, whose listed address is that of his solicitor’s office, was ordered to pay £200 in compensation and £350 in costs.

Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court also found him guilty of damaging a car belonging to the victim, and using violence to secure entry to a property in Mercury Drive.

He had denied the charges at an earlier hearing last September.

Smith had pleaded guilty to failing to surrender to bail at Aldershot Magistrates’ Court in November.

Assault denial

A MAN has appeared in court charged with assault by beating.

Jamie Hewlett, of Gawaine Close, has denied a charge of assualt on August 8, 2020.

The 21-year-old has been released on unconditional bail, ahead of the trial which is due to start at Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court on June 28.

Fine for no insurance

A HAMPSHIRE man has been fined after he was found driving a BMW in Andover.

Joshua Lee Spindley, of Appledown Close in Alresford, was also given six points on his licence after he was caught behind the wheel of a BMW 320D on Junction Road last June.

The 21-year-old was not insured to drive the vehicle.

Appearing at Aldershot Magistrates’ Court earlier this week, Spindley was fined £440, ordered to pay costs of £90 and a £44 victim surcharge.

Drugs charge

AN ANDOVER man has admitted being in possession of cannabis.

Jason Derek Baigent, of New Street, was caught in Fleet on October 5, 2020 with two bags of herbal cannabis.

Cannabis is a controlled drug of Class B.

The 48-year-old was fined £60, and also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £34.

The cannabis was forfeited and destroyed.

No breach

AN ANDOVER man did not breach his bail conditions, a court has heard.

Piotr Witek, of Neville Close, was accused of breaching his bail conditions last month after he was given a curfew.

But magistrates had reason to doubt the efficiency of the monitoring equipment used, and found that the 30-year-old did not breach his bail.