Four people have been taken to hospital, one with "serious injuries", after an overturned vehicle closed the A34 near Sutton Scotney this afternoon (April 2).

Reports of a vehicle overturning and blocking the road near the Sutton Scotney services were first received after 12:30. Emergency services were called to the scene just after 1pm, with the vehicle lying across both lanes on the northbound carriageway.

The accident caused major delays as the road was closed from the junction with the M3 at Winnal Roundabout and the junction with the A303 at Bullington Cross.

Traffic was brought to a standstill as emergency services attended the scene, with a crew from Winchester having come across the accident while on route to an incident in Winchester. They were then assisted by a crew from Eastleigh.

The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance was also at the scene of the incident, with four people injured being taken to hospital by ambulance.

A diversion was put in place, with other roads in the area becoming busy as a diversion sent drivers along the M3 and A303 to rejoin at Bullingdon Cross, while roads through Sutton Scotney were packed with drivers taking alternative routes.

Fire crews left shortly after 2:30pm, with police then driving down the road before reopening the carriageway to traffic. However, the large tailbacks meant that cars remained stationary for some time longer, with delays of up to 16 minutes occurring.

The AA provided an update at the time, saying: “Very slow traffic due to rolled over car on A34 Northbound from M3 J9 (Winnal roundabout / Winchester North) to the A303 (Bullington Cross). Serious accident occurred near the service station, affecting traffic leaving Winchester."

Traffic began to move around 2:50pm, with the road fully opening by 3:30pm.

In a statement, Hampshire Fire & Rescue said they were called to the scene at 1:01pm today (April 2)

A spokesperson said: "We were called just after 1pm today to a road traffic collision with one vehicle, and assisted with scene safety."

Hampshire Constabulary thanked the public for the patience, saying: "Earlier today the A34 was closed to allow Emergency Services to attend a single vehicle collision where one occupant suffered serious injuries. We want to thank members of the public for their patience whilst this incident was dealt with."