Andover New Street were handed a 3-0 defeat by Laverstock and Ford Football Club as Russell Jones scored a hat-trick in the Wessex League Division One.

The away side went down to three goals in the space of ten second half minutes and dropped to fourth place in the table.

The scenic surroundings of the Dell, the home of Laverstock and Ford Football Club, have not been a happy hunting ground for Andover New Street over recent seasons and another year of woe was added to the tale last Saturday.

Andover New Street kicked off up the slope but it was the home side who were quicker out of the blocks and following a free kick from the left keeper Michael Wetherall had to react smartly to save at close range from Archie Lovegrove.

They maintained the early pressure, making good use of the through ball, before New Street’s first attack saw Alexis Aguero snatch a Shane Lock cross off Ross Cook’s head. Jordan Matthews sent a free header straight at Weatherall and as the visitors began to find a foothold in the game Cook was narrowly offside and the referee played an advantage when they would have preferred the free kick.

Jake Rawkins fired across the face of the Street goal and Cook’s strength and persistence won a corner which was cleared with some difficulty. There was little action in front of goal for a spell as both defences stood firm until Laverstock won a free kick on the edge of the ‘D’ but it was rather wasted with a shot that was both high and wide and that ended a half shaded by the home side.

Like the first half, the home side started the second half stronger only for New Street to have the first meaningful effort at goal, Max Allen’s shot from a Josh Jefferies cross being parried at full stretch by Aguero.

Jones tested Weatherall but the keeper came off best and Aguero denied Reece Rusher at full stretch before the ten minutes that decided the game.

Eighteen minutes had passed when the visiting defence and goalkeeper got into a muddle in dealing with a through ball and a rebound left Jones with the simple task of turning the ball in to an open goal. 1-0.

Within 60 seconds it was two, as Jones, looking suspiciously offside, raced through to calmly slot the ball past the advancing Weatherall. 2-0. Lock was inches too high as Street tried to respond before Jones completed his hat-trick with a carbon copy of goal number two though this time without any suggestion of offside. 3-0.

Aguero, who had dealt well with crosses all afternoon, claimed another in front of Cook and the home side missed a golden chance of a fourth goal when Jones and Dom Jackson broke clear but then left the ball to each other and allowing a defender to make the block.

Jackson was foiled by Weatherall and the keeper gratefully held on to a free header from a corner before Street had one final chance but Rusher’s free kick cannoned to safety off the defensive wall, though it was all too little and too late.

The result was right on the day, with Jones proving again his ability in front of goal, and the visitors must now regroup for their Vase tie next week while Laverstock will go into their own tie with renewed confidence.