ANDOVER New Street were held for a 3-3 draw by Millbrook as the two sides met for the first time ever.

Being new to the Wessex League football, Millbrook showed why they deserve their share of points and how well they have adapted to the league.

New Street started the better and Ross Cook was narrowly wide from a corner but it was the visitors who created the first chance as the home defence looked for the offside flag following a long clearance. But the flag never came and keeper Sean O’Brien blocked Mark Barker’s effort with his legs.

Two minutes later, the next attack was more successful as the ball was worked down the left and Perry Harding rose the highest to glance the cross in to the far corner. (0-1)

Street survived further pressure but as they worked their way in to the game Shane Lock was brought down on the edge of the area, resulting in the only caution of the game. But the free kick rebounded to safety off the defensive wall. Two corners came to nothing and Cook’s shot hit the side netting but Millbrook retained possession well and caused problems on the break.

They rather wasted a free kick in a dangerous position – the shot hit straight at O’Brien with insufficient force – and Barker was too high when he fastened on to another long clearance.

Visiting keeper Ed Kitcher twice failed to hold on to crosses and was rescued by the referee’s whistle – on one occasion it appeared to be his own defender who was in his way – and he was grateful to see a shot from Phillips deflected high over the bar.

Street replaced a limping Danny Urry with Reece Rusher close to the half-time whistle and the substitute’s first act was to provide a cross from which Ross Cook headed the home side level seconds before the half time whistle. (1-1)

Millbrook regained their lead in the first minute of the second half with probably the goal of the game.

Mark Barker picked the ball up on the right touchline, turned inside the defender and curled his shot over O’Brien and in to the far top corner of the net.

New Street had obviously been told to reduce the space allowed to the Millbrook midfield but needed a fine O’Brien save to prevent Harding adding a third.

Mikey Davis replaced Phillips and, as with their first-half substitution, made an immediate impact. He combined with Lee Morris down the left, pulled the ball back from the byeline and Reece Rusher slotted it past Kitcher to level the scores again. (2-2)

Four minutes later and the game was turned on its head as Kitcher parried a fierce drive from Shane Lock, but his defence stood still and Lock was quickest to the loose ball. The keeper then made a similar save from Rusher.

Barker was narrowly wide with a snapshot on the turn and a Davis cross drifted across an unguarded goal with no black and green shirts in reach. (3-2)

The game had just moved in to stoppage time when a Millbrook attack on the left was halted by a challenge, the referee said penalty and there were few complaints leaving Ben Baddams to slot the spot kick in to the bottom corner. (3-3)

There was time for one last New Street attack with Cook beating the goalkeeper to the ball only for the referee to seemingly again over protect the keeper before blowing for time. Having said that the Officials enjoyed a good ninety minutes, which was played in a first-class spirit, and the outcome reflected the game overall.