IN A DRAMATIC Hampshire Bowl final, Andover confirmed their credentials for higher level rugby by taking major silverware for the second successive season.

Young full back Charlie Waite grabbed the headlines with a 100 per cent kicking performance that yielded 23 of Andover’s points in tough conditions.

The ‘Mooses’ as the Medics like to be called, are an invitation side based in Southampton Hospital and were a real unknown quantity for Andover.

The fact that they had already easily beaten Trojans and Eastleigh on the way to the final – and having several National League players in their ranks – gave the All Blacks a clue that they would be tough opponents.

The Medics attacked from the off but a huge early hit from Niko Rowe, followed by another from Billy Pollard, sent a clear message.

Despite being shaken however it was the Medics who took the lead with an early penalty.

Andover soon struck back and from the restart. Alex Hibdige forced a knock on and from the resulting scrum Andover served notice of their forward power.

Giant prop Carl Sievewright tore into his opponent and as the Medics crumbled Andover won a penalty, with Waite slotting home the difficult kick.

Spurred on by skipper Alex Morgan, Andover took the game to the Medics with superb driving runs from Nick Reed and Ash Gait.

After constant Andover pressure, Simon Preece broke away and once again only foul play prevented a score, with Waite converting the kick and another awarded soon after.

Ahead at half-time Andover knew they had a real chance.

They used the field position well and from a series of scrums it seemed a penalty try was inevitable.

Before it came however, one scrum disintegrated so badly, that only Andover players were left standing, leaving hooker Tom Waite to drive powerfully for a converted score.

The Medics converted a try of their own but Andover simply turned the screw, utilising their strong bench.

Dawson Ratu and Kieran Jenvey replaced the excellent Franklin and Dave Catt, while Jack Stott made a welcome return after a year playing in Ireland.

Andover celebrated the victory they deserved.

Afterwards, coach Andy Waite, said: “We were excellent today.

“These lads deserved this so much and it just puts the icing on a fantastic season.”