ANDOVER Town eased their way into the second round of the Russell Cotes Cup against visiting Hampshire Premier League opponents Fleetlands thanks to a 4-0 victory.

Despite conceding four goals Fleetlands' goalkeeper Josh Whitehead played a blinder and it was mainly due to his efforts that Andover did not reach double figures.

By comparison his opposite number Kieron McHardy was,for most of the match, a mere spectator and throughout did not have a shot on target to deal with.

The opening goal arrived early in the first half. After Whitehead had parried Jason Silver’s volley and from the resultant corner MaCaulie Stubbs directed a firm header past Whitehead.

Whilst Fleetlands had their moments Andover dominated the rest of the first half.

Craig Blakeman was only inches away from a Silver cross, Reece Rusher,who had no luck all evening, hit a post,while Stubbs was close to claiming a first half hat-trick.

When they did find the target Whitehead excelled and his most impressive save was from 30-yard Stubbs thirty yard free kick.

The majority of the second half was confined inside the Fleetlands half and it was no surprise when a a neat finish by Luke Dempsey doubled the Andover scoreline.

Whitehead continued his heroics with a trio of point blank blocks and later saving well from Blakeman and George Hallahan.

Arguably his one error during the game led to Andover’s third goal. During a goalmouth struggle he dropped the ball and Dempsey was on hand to complete a simple tap in.

After Hallahan’s free kick skimmed the post his gentle lob over the goalkeeper landed on top of the net.

With 15 minutes left Silver converted Rusher’s assist for the fourth goal.

During the closing stages a free-kick gave the visitors a chance of a consolation the effort went wide but Fleetlands must be praised for their sporting attitude throughout.

Andover have no game this weekend, but on Tuesday night host Hamble Club, where at least a point, will move Town to the top of the Wessex League Premier Division table.