ANDOVER Town bounced back to winning ways after their midweek defeat at Alresford with a 2-1 victory at Petersfield.

A goal in each half was enough to see them got 11 points clear at the top of the Wessex League Premier Division, even if a late penalty gave the home side a chance of sharing the points.

On a pitch that in racing circles would be described as heavy the game was fairly uneventful, without major incident and mainly devoid of bad tackles.

However, the overzealous referee still managed to issue a plethora of yellow cards, including four to Andover of which at least two would be laughable if the matter had been so serious.

The visitors made three changes to the team that started in midweek.

Joe Chamberlaine came in for Liam Hibberd who was nursing an injury and George Hallahan replaced Reece Rusher whilst Luke Cairney the current British Army goalkeeper was handed his league debut.

Andover started well and two early efforts sailed over the bar.

With the pitch being unreliable for passing football the aerial route proved to be the source for Andover’s opening goal.

Chamberlaine put in a high cross into the crowed area to fid Alex Dockree coming in on the blind side to plant a header into the top corner.

After 25 minutes Petersfield managed their first shot on target but Cairney easily dealt with the effort.

The only real danger for Andover came toward the end of the first half when Billy Conner made a good run but Luke Dempsey did well to retrieve the situation.

Petersfield made a good start to the second half but again early efforts from Andover were too high.

The home side had upped their game and the Andover travelling faithful sensed that a another score was needed and shortly after it arrived in a somewhat bizarre manner.

Gosney’s cross was deep to the far post were Zach Glasspool was waiting but at the vital moment he slipped, and the ball cannoned off his belly into the net. Unorthodox maybe but they all count.

With 10 minutes left, Petersfield were awarded a penalty after Connor Cocklin upended former Andover player Luke Walker in the box.

Cairney went the right way for Luke Kendal’s spot kick but he was beaten for pace.

During the time remaining Andover closed the game down and gain three vital points.

However, it was the Referee who had the word playing over eight minutes of added time, as there were no major stoppage the mystery remains.

The previous Wednesday, Andover suffered their first defeat of the season but remained eight points clear of their nearest rivals.

It was inevitable that the team’s unbeaten run would come to an end at some stage but the manner of this defeat was disappointing.

Andover had their moments during the match but overall they were second best in all areas throughout the game.

Town made one change to the team that started the previous match with Immanuel Soetan replacing George Hallohan who dropped to the bench.

Alresford went ahead after just four minutes when Arron Blaxall scored from close range taking advantage of some poor defending.

There was a suggestion that the ball did not fully cross the line but the referee’s assistant indicated otherwise.

What was arguably Andover’s best opportunity of the entire game soon followed.

Good movement by Reece Rusher and Sotan allowed Zach Glasspool to find space in a crowed area but his effort drifted wide of the post.

With Twenty minutes gone Alresford doubled the score line leaving Andover a proverbial mountain to climb.

Geoff Dunn raced clear and effortlessly to fire home beyond the reach of Lloyd Thomas.

For the remaining minutes of the half Alresford remained the better side presenting few opportunities for Andover to get back into the game.

To be fair Andover’s game improved once the second half got underway but the travelling faithful were not convinced that they would be able to turn the game round.

Any chance that might have happened finally disappeared just before the hour mark, when Alresford scored the third goal.

A long free-kick hit into the area was not well defended and Ben White provided the finishing touch.

It could well have got worse for Andover when Dunn attempted a replica of his earlier goal but this time he pulled the effort wide.

For Andover the only chance of a consolation was Michael Hubbard’s header late in the game but the goal keeper saved well.

This Saturday, Andover are away to Brockenhurst and then they are back home on November 21, when they entertain Bemerton Heath in the Russell Cotes Cup.