ANDOVER Town suffered only their second defeat of the season on Saturday when they played host to Hamworthy United.

The Hammers came away from the Portway Stadium with a 2-1 victory, but Town still remain 10 points clear at the top of the Wessex Premier League.

The loss was Town’s first defeat in five games and their second league defeat of the campaign.

But it was Town who opened the scoring after just 10 minutes.

A 30 yard free-kick by Mike Gosney looked covered by United keeper Nick Jones, before bouncing off the head of visiting defender Jamie Filkins and into the net.

The early goal seemed to open the game up, with chances emerging at both ends. Andover stopper Luke Cairney was called into action with a comfortable waist high save from Eddie Hodge and a decent tip-over from Dan Cann

Hamworthy found a way back into the game on half-hour mark scoring in an unusual fashion.

Cairney came off his line to claim a routine cross from Darren Watts, but the Town keeper collided with teammate Conor Cocklin, dropping the ball right into the path of Nathan Walker who duly dispatched the ball into the unguarded net.

Five minutes after the break Town looked to regain the advantage when Zach Glasspool tried to steer in George Hallahan’s low cross, only for his effort to be smothered by Jones.

After this early effort the visitors took control of the game, with Cairney being called into action on more than one occasion.

Despite the increased possession, it was the hosts who nearly edged in front when Gosney drilled an effort from 25-yards only to see it come agonizingly rebound off the far post.

With three minutes remaining Town hit the self-destruct button when Luke Dempsey handled the ball over the bar from a close-range header, with the referee showing the defender a straight red.

Walker kept his cool to fire the resulting spot kick just beyond the valiant dive of Cairney.

Jones still had work to do in the Hammers goal right at the death, when he got a vital touch on the ball to tip Glasspool’s venomous shot over the bar.

Town will look to get back to winning ways when they travel to Bemerton Heath Harlequins tomorrow.