PORTWAY is the place to be on Saturday as Wessex League Premier Division Leaders Andover Town are holding a community day, with adults paying what they like on the gate and under-16s go free.

Gates open at 2pm with a 3pm kick-off with bottom side Petersfield the visitors, there will be free face painting in the bar and also the first 20 children to register can take a penalty against Andover’s club chairman John Ward, with every successful spot kick earning a free hot dog.

Ward said: “We want to make it a family occasion and get as more people down to the Portway, to see what we are all about. I am sure it will be a good game as the boys are playing really well at the moment.”

Andover suffered a rare defeat on Tuesday night, and can have no complaints after they surrendered a two goal advantage in their North Hants Senior Cup tie allowing Whitchurch to win a penalty shoot-out 8-7 and move into the semi finals.

Andover fielded a strong side, with Liam Hibberd making his 50th appearance, and whilst not at their best appeared to have done enough when they went 2-0 up with 20 minutes left.

Jason Silver gave Andover the lead just past the 20 minute mark, drilling the ball into the top corner from the edge of the area past Josh Cotton.

The best Whitchurch chance in the first half, came as Callum Williams, as he raced clear but Luke Cairney covered the angle After the break, an excellent run by Silver was wasted with no colleague quick enough to anticipate his pull back and at the other end another on target effort by Williams produced an excellent save by Cairney.

On the hour mark Ben Cook’s volley struck a post but 10 minutes later he scored from Andover’s second from close range that owed much to Reece Rusher’s persistence in the build up.

At this stage Whitchurch were the better side and Nick Yeomans fine header brought his side a lifeline.

The visitors certainly raised the stakes in the final 10 minutes and in the the final minute, Kieran Winman took advantage of of Andover’s failure to clear their lines to fire in past Cairney to send the game to the shoot-out and Josh Chandler scored what turned out to be the winning penalty.