ANDOVER made the short trip across northern Hampshire to visit bottom side Hartley Wintney and lost a high scoring contest.

The visitors lost the toss and were asked to bat on a flat looking pitch which boasted a 30-yard boundary at one end.

Asher Hart (25) and Andrew Duckworth (32) made a positive start for the town side.

The pair exploited the fielding restrictions and pounced on any delivery that was slightly over pitched.

Duckworth in particular seized on anything full and dispatched it through the covers.

They took Andover for 65 from the first 10 overs before both fell in quick succession.

This brought Max Romer-Lee to the crease, his first game for the first team since returning from university, and Glyn Treagus.

The pair went on the offensive, with Romer- Lee clearing a nearby house with massive six.

However, the counter attack was short lived as Treagus was well caught for 19.

Charlie Ayers (19) came to the crease and continued to support Romer-Lee who was beginning to move through the gears.

Romer-Lee brought up his 50 with a deluge of boundaries to leave the town side at 140-3 at the halfway point of the innings.

However, Hartley Wintney struck twice to remove Ayres and new man Soutar (4) and it appeared that Andover would be struggling to post a par total.

Romer-Lee however took on the burden of run scoring. He peppered the boundaries with some incredible hitting, particularly brutal on the Wintney spinners.

Skipper Matt Hooper (35) proved an able foil and the pair took Andover to 250 of 40 overs.

Romer-Lee survived a dropped catch to bring up a majestic hundred. one that will live long in the memories of the onlooking crowd.

Romer-Lee (145) continued his assault and by the time both he and Hooper departed, Andover had reached 300 of 45 overs.

Some late order hitting brought the town side up to a score of 323 of their 50 overs.

Perhaps feeling the effects of a luxurious tea, Andover were slow to get into their bowling rhythm.

Hartley Wintney took full advantage, racing to 65 of 10 overs.

The introduction of Mike Adams into the attack reaped immediate dividends removing the dangerous looking Jonny Kerr for 34.

Ayres struck with his skilful leg spin to remove Angus Brown for two.

This brought Hartley Wintney's star player Scott Baldwin to the crease. He set about taking control of the Hartley Wintney chase.

Along with Will Kerr, the pair took the score up to 160 of 25 overs, putting Hartley firmly in the driving seat.

Skipper Hooper introduced himself into the attack and struck thanks to the help of Duckworth who took a steeling catch.

Luke Graham then struck to remove new man Jamie Teale, stumped by wicketkeeper Matt Knight.

Baldwin launched a counter attack and quickly accelerated past 50 and with some streaky hitting from Beckwith (37) dragged Hartley Wintney up to 250 with 12 overs remaining.

Hampshire star Hart removed Beckwith to give Andover a sniff of hope. Andover then took four wickets, including Baldwin (97) to leave Hartley requiring 23 of six overs with one wicket remaining.

However, Hartley rode their luck to close out the game and consign Andover to defeat.

Andover hope to change their fortunes next week when they welcome Ventnor to London Road.