ANDOVER Town lost out in a nine goal thriller at the Portway, as visiting Petersfield Town beat them 5-4.

They was definitely a game of two halves as the visitors took a 4-1 led to the break, but in the end just held on to take the Wessex League Division One win.

Within the first 10 minutes Andover had gone 3-0 down.

The opener coming after just two minutes as Jake Bourtons’ cross was headed home by Jordan Neal.

Andover struggled to get going and shortly afterwards Callum Coker made a great run from his own half and scored with a shot which hit the post on its way into the net.

Petersfield’s third was classic set play from a corner. Jon Byerley connected with a clean header from an extremely well placed inbound kick.

Two minutes later, Bourton should have added to Petersfield tally as with an open goal, he shot seemed to be aimed for the car park.

The Andover players needed to dig deep to raise their spirits after such a start.

Andover then had a few chances, the first from a free-kick taken by Josh Bertie which almost resulted in Jordan Ragguette’s first goal.

The second from a Bertie corner which gave Sam Mills the opportunity for a shot, which Tim Jackson had no difficulty in saving.

Shortly after, Nickoy Pinnock took an ambitious shot from the wing, which was saved.

At this time Petersfield were still dominating midfield. Mills and Owen Trapnell were working hard to prevent the away side’s chances being converted until the 21st minute when Coker once again was able to break down the Andover defence to score his second and the visitor’s fourth.

However, following Pinnocks earlier shot on goal, the Andover forwards seemed more empowered to just have a go.

With 10 minutes to go in the first half Bertie took what looked like a lazy shot toward the Petersfield goal, which Jackson completely misjudged and Andover had their second league goal of the season.

The home crowd cheered like they had won the game.

The second half was a completely different affair. From the start the Andover forwards took control of the game and seemed to rattle off a shot every time the crowd screamed shoot.

Ragguette began to sparkle. He went wide with his first attempt before the half time Bovrils had started to cool.

A sequence of forced errors by Petersfield allowed Andover to dominate, but against the run of play Petersfield scored a fifth from a Harry Giles header.

Undeterred Andover continued with their attacking play. Again and again they were creating chances but not quite putting it away.

Then in the 72nd minute Bertie sealed the deal again. His shot from a long way out was sensational.

Jackson had no chance but to watch it.

Within seconds of the restart Ragguette beat two defenders and found the back of Jackson’s net again.

Andover had only scored one league goal before this game, but suddenly it all came together.

Andover continued to push as they saw league points within their grasp.

With less than five minutes of the game to go a Bertie corner eventually found Ragguette who took his time and put the home side tantalisingly close to those league points, making the score 5-4

Cole Oates was to have the best chances for an equaliser, but Petersfield held on for the win.

If Andover continue to play like the second half they will end the table much higher than they are presently.

Although it wasn’t the points score they might of hoped for the match was extremely exciting and they seemed to have now mastered all aspects of the game required to start notching up the wins.

The side are next in action on Tuesday, away at high flying Laverstock and then entertain Newport from the Isle of Wight on Saturday.