AFTER conceding two early goals against title chasing Amesbury Andover left themselves with a large hill to climb and it did not get

any easier with two more coming before the interval.

However, they staged a much improved performance in the second half and they should not be too displeased with the final result.

With several players carrying injuries Andover made several changes to the side that played so well in the previous match and these included

a first start for Kaine Macauley .

Andover forced three corners in the opening seven minutes before Kieran McHardy was called into action saving well from Luke Greenaway

as he burst through a square defence, before Amesbury scored two in a minute.

Jordan Matthews scored the first converting a corner and Thomas Plant made it two following a mix up in the Andover goalmouth.

It was not long before Plant punished some poor defending with his second goal but this appeared to be the wake up call that Andover needed.

A good effort by Josh Bertie drifted wide and Waledin Ahmed did everything right but his final shot whilst on target lacked power.

However, Amesbury ,unbeaten in the league since September,were never going to make it easy and just before the break Plant completed his hat-trick

to give the home side a strong advantage at the break.

Soon after the restart, McHardy saved well before Brendan Holmes pulled a goal back for the visitors.

During the build up an Andover player was impeded

but the referee played the advantage and Holmes ran through to score from just inside the area.Andover continued to play well but unfortunately they could not prevent Danny Finnigan’s powerful header which completed Amesbury’s nap hand.

Andover now had little to lose as George Higgins went close and Bertie’s excellent effort came back off the inside of a post.

Ahmed tried his luck with a shot that was inches too high.

Seven minutes were left when Andover scored their second goal which brought a degree of respectability to the final scoreline and also became a strong contender

for goal of the season.

About 20 yards out and following a scramble the ball ran lose.

Bertie and Holmes went for it and it was the latter who arrived first and hit a sweet shot that flew like an arrow into the net leaving the goalkeeper stranded.