ANDOVER Town completed their first league double of the season, with a superb 5-2 victory at New Milton.

This clash was certainly a game of two halves as both teams could only muster one effort on target between them in the first 45 minutes, while the second produced seven goals including two penalties.

Both of Andover’s regular goalkeepers were unavailable so Daniel Hughes came in for his debut and his contribution was one of the many factors that ensured Andover’s fourth win of the season.

The visitor’s play was outstanding in the first half but without much success and well over 20 minutes elapsed before Hughes was called into real action.

Josh Bertie and Shaquille Gwengwe looked the most likely to score, but it was Ben Emans who came nearest to giving Andover the lead.

The only effort on target during the first 45 minutes was New Milton’s Jake Garswell’s header from very close range which was brilliantly fisted away by Hughes.

From the restart Andover were quickly into their stride and another good effort by Bertie was just wide.

This was just the lull before the storm as five goals quickly followed in a 25 minute spell.

Andover were consistently finding space behind the New Milton defence and when Gwengwe broke clear he was upended inside the area. His subsequent spot kick was well struck and sent the goalkeeper James Mayo the wrong way.

Five minutes later, Gwengwe doubled the score line, latching onto Emans' precision pass and scoring with ease.

Almost immediately New Milton were awarded the game’s second penalty for reasons that were not obvious, but later suggested for a shirt pull. Carswell converted the penalty to bring the Foresters back into the game.

However, having played so well Andover were in no mood to throw the game away and Bertie made the point when his 25-yard volley hit the back of the net.

The groundwork having been prepared by George Higgins.

Within four minutes the home side scored their second goal from James Broad, to make it 3-2.

As the match approached it’s finale the wise heads amongst the travelling faithful felt that they needed one more to be sure and they were more than happy to see a brace appear.

With around 10 minutes left Bertie fired in a screamer from all of 30 yards out.

Then with four minutes left Gwenguwe after leaving the New Milton defence in some disarray completed his hat-trick.

This Tuesday, Andover are on their travels again to Downton.