ANDOVER Town produced another good team effort, but it was not quite enough against a strong Downton team.

The sleet and snow that was forecast failed to materialise in south Wiltshire and despite recent rain the pitch was in good condition.

Andover made three changes to the side that won at New Milton. Kieran McHardy resumed in goal and there

was a place on the bench for the latest signing George Murge.

Downton started the in top gear and their speedy forwards gave the visitors some early problems.

There was a physical element to their game committing nine fouls inside the opening 15 minutes earning two cautions.

Andover weathered this storm but they were again put under considerable pressure during a ten minute spell leading up to half time.

During this period, Downton rattled the goal frame twice and McHardy excelled making three fine and important saves to keep Andover in the game.

Arguably his best came when the dangerous Tom Moseley burst through but McHardy was quick off the line to save well on the edge of the 18-yard box.

During this period Andover’s only real chance was from a free kick that was on target but turned away for a corner.

Just before the interval both sides were involved in some shenanigans in front of both dugouts for reasons that were not clear from the opposite side of the ground.

During the second half there was more purpose to Andover’s game but not for the first time this season the finishing was wayward.

Jordan Ragguette missed out on a one on one with the goalkeeper and then was unfortunate not to latch on to Josh Bertie’s cross.

A neat flick by Bertie deserved a better reward than skimming the cross bar and then his cross come shot rolled along the crossbar to safety.

So it was rather against the run of play that Downton took the lead with 20 minutes left.

A free-kick into the danger area was not dealt with adequately and Moseley finally got the final touch.

McHardy produced another fine save to keep Andover’s hopes alive but even he could not prevent the second goal which arrived in the third minute of added time and was scored by Diego Romero who had been a constant menace throughout.

That was the last kick of the game and Town, at last, return to the Portway on Saturday for a proverbial six pointer when Totton and Eling are the visitors.