NEW Street progressed into the third round of the Wessex League up after a thrilling 4-3 win at Cowes Sports on Tuesday night.

After the victory away at New Milton Town and with the important league match coming up at home this Saturday to East Cowes Vics, there were four changes.

Matty Scott (groin), and Luke Hooper were left out, while Cam Thatcher and Michael Davis dropped to the bench along side Joe Rogers and Harry Lawton.

Into the starting line up came Reece Rusher, Robbie Owen, Max Allen and Lewis Alderman.

The game started on time at 7.30 and Robbie Owens tested the Cowes keeper in the very first minute.

New Street didn’t have to wait long to take a deserved lead - in the 10th minute Ross Cook got his head to the ball and opened the scoring.

The second goal came on 25 minutes. Cook layed it off to Shane Lock who made no mistake and New Street were two up. Andover were then reduced to ten men, after Adam Pearson was dismissed for dissent, reducing the visitors to 10 men with an hour still to play.

Cowes started to get into the match but New Street managed to get to half time without conceding. It didn’t stay that way for long, and the home side pulled a goal back just one minute into the second half.

A shot across the New Street goal hit the post and went in and the deficit had been halved. Cowes continued to press and in the 57th minute came the equaliser.

It now seemed odds-on that the home side would go on and win but the experience of New Street’s players showed when Rusher flicked the ball on to Ross Cook who buried it in the net.

The same duo then repeated the trick for Cook to complete his hat-trick. Rusher won the ball, played it to Ross Cook and he finished well past the keeper.

With a two-gal cushion, New Street then gifted Cowes a goal. Lee Morris cleared off the line, it hit Lloyd Thompson and went into the New Street net.

There was still 15 minutes to play and changes were made with the intent of trying to protect what had become a very narrow lead. Michael Davis came off the bench for Reece Rusher who had certainly influenced this match.

With just four minutes to play Sean O’Brien tipped the ball over the bar from a Cowes attack and New Street were almost there. Cam Thatcher came on into the midfield for Max Allen and the referee blew for time.

Full Time and New Street edged it 4-3, despite playing for an hour with 10 men. Man of the Match has to be the hat-trick hero Ross Cook.

Today (September 4) New Street welcome East Cowes Victoria To Foxcotte Park for a Wessex Division One League fixture. Kick off 3pm.