Shane Lock scored the only goal of the game as Andover New Street defeated Ringwood Town away from home.

With Cam Thatcher out with a tight calf Max Allen came into the New Street line up. That was the only change from Tuesday's victory over Downton. However it was good to see Ross Cook back on the bench after illness.

Andover New Street didn't take long to dominate the opening exchanges. Tuesday's two-goal hero Mikey Davis was causing Ringwood plenty of problems down the left flank and we were having very good possession.

Harry Lawton seemed to be everywhere but he scuffed a shot wide when a good chance appeared. However it wasn't long before we took the lead. Good play from Davis and Phillips set up Lock who made no mistake and New Street had deservedly gone one up.

Lawton then had a shot saved by the home keeper and it seemed likely that more goals would soon be on the cards. Ringwood were not in the match and in fact their first attack didn't materialise until 25 minutes on the clock when Sean O'Brien did well to thwart a breakaway that looked like bringing the sides level.

That could have been the equaliser. Reece Rusher, who had been causing the home side plenty of problems, swapped wings with Mikey Davis and New Street continued to push forward. The half time break got closer without any further score but Ringwood at last started to get into the game and O'Brien did well to tip over a free kick from Joss Holford. On the brink of half time Danny Field incurred the wrath of the referee and the first yellow card of the match was shown.

Only 10 seconds after the break Lewis Alderman found himself cautioned for an offence that wasn't clear from the side line. The third yellow card was then brandished to Josh Taylor for a foul on Lawton. The New Street player was fighting for every ball and another foul on the edge of the Ringwood box gave us a free kick in a dangerous position but it went over the bar.

At the other end O'Brien had to punch a Ringwood free kick clear and we started to dwell on the fact that a one goal lead can be distinctly perilous. The game was now much more even and both sides had chances without capitalising.

Joe Rogers replaced Max Allen and shortly afterwards Ross Cook came on for Daryll Phillips. It wasn't long before Cook was in the action. A cross from Shane Long found him in space but up went the flag for off side.

The third New Street substitution was Matty Scott replacing Lewis Alderman. Ringwood's Harry Smith unfortunately had to be helped off the field after a clash with Adam Pearson and was replaced by Ben Bradwell.

Plenty of midfield action but chances for either side were rare and when the referee eventually blew his whistle after an interminable amount of injury time the three points were on their way to Andover New Street. The Andover team are now back up to fifth place with games in hand of all the teams at the top.