New Street entertained their Sponsors to a well attended five-star lunch before the game and followed that with more entertainment in a seven-star performance on the field as they scored seven for the third time in five matches.

The match against Verwood Town, which was a personal triumph for Shane Lock, was a replay of the game in early December that was abandoned at half time because of floodlight problems with Street leading by three goals to one.

There was however a sombre start to the proceedings with an impeccably observed minutes silence for Laverstock and Ford’s Freddie Jones-Fonteta who passed away in tragic circumstances during the week, and the thoughts of all go to his family and friends.

The game then got away to an explosive start with the home side taking the lead after just 34 seconds. Mike Gosney charged down a clearance, his cross was only cleared to the edge of the area and Harry Lawton’s low drive found the corner of the net. (1-0)

Verwood had a much changed and youthful side from their previous visit and were simply swept aside in the opening twenty minutes. A Gosney free kick shaved the outside of the post, Chris Flood was too high and Mikey Davis was denied by a fine save from goalkeeper Adam Lewingray before the second goal came on ten minutes. Joe Wright went from left back to take a corner on the right and Shane Lock, far from the tallest player in the box, rose unchallenged to head the ball almost out of the keeper’s hands and high in to the net. (2-0)

Two minutes later it was three as Chris Flood’s persistence took him down the left flank and the low cross was turned home by Lock. (3-0)

Six minutes after he had scored his first goal he completed his hat trick, collecting a through ball and turning the defender before firing past the rather static keeper. (4-0)

The first Verwood attack of any note was halted by the offside flag before Jake Carswell floated a dangerous cross into the New Street area that found no takers. The half’s midway point was marked by goal number five as the visiting defence failed to deal with a through ball and Gosney found the corner of the net with the keeper again seeming flat footed. (5-0)

The same player had another shot well saved and a corner bravely punched clear before Verwood twice more fell foul of the offside flag. Another home corner was cleared and this time to good effect as Erhan Quarchioni’s speed took him into space on the right and his cross provided Diop Evans with a simple tap in to reduce the arrears. (5-1)

There was still time for New Street to make it six before the break as Flood’s clever reverse pass sent Lock away, the defence stood off and a cool finish took the striker’s tally to four. (6-1)

Verwood, perhaps deciding they had nothing to lose, and to their credit, took the game to New Street on the restart and displaying considerably more effort they caused some alarms in the home area. Jordi Wilson had to smartly leave his line to block an effort from Josh Nace and Lewingray at the other end saved a Matt Scott free kick at the second attempt, snatching the ball off the goal line.

The usual array of second half substitutes made their collective appearances before the final goal of the game, again, midway through the half. A Gosney corner from the right cleared everybody, only for Wright to cross from the other flank enabling Chris Flood to control the ball and turn in one movement before beating the overworked Lewingray. (7-1)

Just reward for a player so adept on the ball and an ability to bring others in to the play. The game then rather meandered to a close in the sunshine and a comfortable win for the home side that very much keeps their promotion hopes alive. A more than healthy attendance and a good day all round for the hone club.