Andover New Street held league leaders Bemerton Heath for a goalless draw at home in a game that saw more than 200 spectators.

The orange shirted away side were quicker in to their stride although the first attempt on goal fell for New Street with a free kick from Reece Rusher, after he had been fouled on the corner of the area. The shot was well saved by keeper Paddy Creese under heavy pressure.

At the other end Ronan Clancy seemed to get the ball under his feet, but the chance was lost. Creese came for a corner he had little chance of reaching and Shane Lock’s snap shot from the loose ball was acrobatically blocked by a defender.

Harry Beckley, whose pace was a threat to the home defence all afternoon, found space on the right but fired into the side netting. With the game switching from end-to-end, Chris Flood was inches wide of the far post and saw another effort saved by Creese after Joe Wright and Lock had created the opening.

Street then enjoyed the lion’s share of the possession and after Bemerton had replaced the limping Clancy with Leroy Plummer the half ended with another excellent save from Creese, tipping a thunderbolt from Liam Hibberd over the bar.

The second half again saw Bemerton start quicker, but Street were soon in the game with Flood offside and a Lock effort headed behind by a defender and perilously close to an own goal.

Street lost Ashleigh James to injury and while both sides went forward at every opportunity, the ball spent too much time in the air.

Some brave keeping by Jordi Wilson in the home goal averted danger from an in-swinging corner and after Ross Cook replaced Mike Gosney for the home side, the referee dealt sensibly with a difference of opinion between Lock and Charlie Rayfield.

Cook was narrowly beaten to a cross by Kane O’Keefe and then saw a close range shot rather fumbled round the post by Creese. With the time running out, and no goals, Bemerton replaced Justin Bennett, who had been very quiet, with Harvey Clark.

Wilson saved twice from Beckley in close succession and a Plummer cross evaded all in the area while at the other end Cook’s first time shot from a Lock cross was nearly inadvertently deflected past Creese by Flood.

Street came closest to breaking the deadlock when Joe Wright clipped the far post and a Rusher effort was held by Creese and five nervous extra minutes could not alter the scoreline.

A draw was perhaps a fair result, though overall New Street posed the greater threat, and the performances of both goalkeepers helped to keep matters goalless. The game was played in good spirit, sensibly refereed and the draw may just prove more important to New Street than their opponents in the long run.