ANDOVER Cricket Club seconds fell to a final over defeat during a closely contested game at Hook and Newnham Basics.

The seconds went into the final over of the game needing either to clinch a final wicket or prevent a run from being scored in order to seal their first victory of the season.

However, their hosts found the singular run they needed to clinch the game with two balls remaining.

On a hot May day, Andover captain Harry Blackburn won the toss and had no hesitation in deciding to bat first.

Harri Williams (31) and Alex Thompson (38) put on more than 50 for the first wicket, setting a good early pace for Andover.

Williams fell just before drinks, bringing young gun Olly Cox to the crease.

Cox and Thompson put on a good partnership throughout the middle overs for Andover.

Thompson was resolute in defence but was eventually caught well in the deep while Cox’s 40 or so was vital to Andover posting a good score.

Wickets fell regularly in the last 15 overs, but Blackburn (18), Ballantine-Dykes (23), Andrews (15) and Morton (21) all contributed well to push Andover onto a competitive, but below-par, score of 238 all out.

The Andover bowlers knew pressure would be key if they were to get their first victory of the season.

Aidan Jansen opened up as usual and performed well, knocking several edges off the opening batsman, but only securing one wicket.

However he bowled his 10 overs straight through and gave away very few runs.

Through the middle overs Blackburn rotated his bowlers in an attempt to get wickets and not let the batsman settle.

But a big sixth wicket partnership for Hook set up a close finish with 60 required off the final 10 overs.

Wickets continued to fall, with the most memorable coming from a highlight catch from Luke Andrews at long on.

With Hook having two wickets remaining and just over 10 runs required it was a tense finish.

Andover upped the pressure once more when they picked up Hook’s ninth wicket, leaving the hosts needing one run in the last over to win the game.

Cruelly for Andover, Hook got the winning run with just two balls remaining.