ANDOVER marked Non League Day by extending their unbeaten league record to 10 games, as they beat visiting AFC Portchester 3-2.

A crowd in excess of 200 witnessed what was arguably the best match seen at The Portway this season.

Hero of the day as far as the Andover faithful was concerned was the club’s latest signing George Hallahan who came off the bench to make his debut and in what was a very tight game, scored the winning goal.

In some quarters Portchester are seen as possible league champions and it was easy to see why as in the early stages of the match they kept Andover on the back foot.

However against the run of play it was Andover who went ahead after 13 minutes.

Zach Glasspool could not believe his luck when he found himself in acres of space and he ran on to effortlessly round goalkeeper Lewis Noice to score.

In what was to be a theme throughout the match the visitors twice went high when in good scoring positions but their play suggested that an equaliser looked inevitable and it and it duly arrived on the half hour mark.

After Andover broke up an attack the subsequent clearance was poor allowing Portchester to regain control and an alert Robert Smith scored from close range.

At the other end an always busy Reece Rusher was just off target and then his pull back from the bye line ended with Glasspool steering the ball the wrong side of the post.

The match continued to ebb and flow and once again a poorly timed clearance gave the ball away and this time Joe Bye fired in from an acute angle to give to give the visitors their second goal.

Just before the interval another Rusher cross was directed to Michael Hubbard who rattled the post from close range.

If Portchester were the better side in the first half then Andover were much the better in an incident filled second period.

The drama began When Rusher put in a fierce shot that Noice could only parry and as Joe Chamberlaine challenged for the rebound he was brought down.

Glasspool stepped up to take the Penalty but Noice appeared to play mind games with him and the spot kick was off target.

Andover now started to keep their opponents on the back foot.

Hubbard and Jason Silver saw excellent efforts drift wide of the post and Noice remained the busier of the two goalkeepers.

The games grand finale started as the match entered the final 15 minutes when a handling offence from an Andover was spotted by the referee.

This time Hubbard took the spot and although Noice chose the right way the kick was far to strong and Andover were back in the game.

At this stage little had been seen of Portchester as an attacking force but still they were able to put in a couple of goal attempts but these came to nothing.

Despite that any of the three available results were still are possibility until with four minutes of normal time left Hallahan received the ball on the half way line.

He held off a challenge went clear and though Noice came out the finish was clinical.

Tomorrow night, Andover are away at Shaftesbury and then on Saturday face league leaders Blackfield and Langley.