ANDOVER Town remain six points clear at the top of the Wessex League Premier Division after their latest success a 2-0 victory over visiting Shaftesbury.

Despite missing several key players they were still able to field a strong team, but this was not one of their better performances.

Shaftesbury too had their selection problems and these were magnified with the match just four minutes old, when Aaron Lane-Leney fell awkwardly and after receiving lengthy treatment had to be stretchered off.

The incident took four minutes to resolve and before the visitors could regain their composure Andover took the lead.

Jason Silver’s precise pass found Zach Glasspool who spun round and fired in just inside the post.

With Shaftesbury struggling to make an impression the Andover faithful expected a goal avalanche but instead too many passes and chances went astray.

George Hallahan missed a couple but he was unlucky to hit a post with Glasspool setting up the opportunity.

Hallahan turned provider for Nesbeth who fired wide whilst there were further opportunities for Glasspool and Ben Cook which came to nothing but with Shaftesbury failing to get a shot on target the damage was limited.

Early in the second half Glasspool did find the net but the offside flag was already up.

Possibly sensing that they could take something from the game Shaftesbury were much better and Luke Cairney did well to prevent Malachi Benjamin obtaining the equaliser.

At the other end Shaftesbury goalkeeper Dan Card denied Hallahan and Glasspool and Alex Dockree should have converted his chance having been set up by Cook.

Three minutes were left when Aaron Nesbeth made a powerful run into the area only to be upended and the referee did not hesitate in awarded a penalty.

Michael Hubbard’s spot kick was quality but Card went the right way to make the save.

Shaftesbury still hopeful of gaining something from the game went forward in numbers and ironically these was to prove their undoing.

The attack broke down and Andover cleared their lines with a long ball into the opposition half, were Silver unmarked and in space had only the Goalkeeper to beat which he did easily.

Andover finish the year with another home fixture against Alresford on Saturday.