ANDOVER Rugby Club made history on Saturday as they marauded to a 37-0 victory at local rivals Basingstoke.

The All Blacks were in imperious form as the two teams went head-to-head in the league for the first time in both the club’s histories.

And it was a huge reminder of just how far the Oakwood sponsored side had come, with Andover playing Hampshire League rugby just two years ago while Basingstoke were battling for promotion back to the national leagues.

Hampshire under 20 full back Charlie Waite was Andover’s star man, with an assured all round performance, including two tries and a personal haul of twenty two points.

Andover took the early lead through two Waite penalties.

The home side came back hard but found the Andover defence in no mood to concede anything.

Then on twenty minutes came a stunning try.

From eighty meters out Ed Williams broke, turned his defender, fed Jenvey, who in turn set Sam Froggett away before Waite sprinted under the posts for a try he converted himself.

Andover sensed the kill and replaced the power of Sievewright with the extra mobility of Matt Moore.

Froggett again showed the way with an excellent line off of Staff to add a second try.

Andover were rampant and with man-of-the-match Niko Rowe tearing holes in the home defence it wasn’t long before Andover struck again.

This time Jack Stott’s pace and quick feet did the damage before Waite again finished neatly.

In the third quarter the game stagnated a little and Andover attempted to mix it up by bringing on Alex Kane and Hampshire under 18 back rower Jordan Gray.

Both added fresh impetus as Andover went all out for the bonus point fourth try.

With fifteen minutes to go another fine Rowe break created space for Kane and from a ruck Preece smashed his way over for the vital try.

Andover pressed again, but just as the game looked like it would peter out, a last moment of magical team play to send the Andover fans into raptures.

A Waite deep kick was pounced on by Erskine who offloaded to Lindridge to dive over to complete a wonderful try.

Coach Andy Waite said: “This was a momentous day for our club and one that has been years in the making by a host of dedicated volunteers.

“It is remarkable that a totally amateur community club can not only reach these heights, but can perform so strongly.”