HAMPSHIRE firefighters and control staff helped rescue a 90-year-old from a potentially fatal fire in Andover in the early hours of this morning. (15 Jan)

Control was alerted of the fire at 12.10am in Ashlawn Gardens when it quickly became clear that the 90 year old had low mobility and would be unable to escape from her home to safety.

Control staff immediately gave life saving advice over the phone until fire crews from Andover and Stockbridge arrived and led the elderly lady to safety.

The cause of the incident was an electrical therapeutic heat pad that overheated in the lady’s bed.

Incident commander, Fred Pettersson said: "This incident could have easily turned into a fatal fire and highlights the importance of checking all your electrical items, particularly the ones you use at night.

"The advice our control operators gave over the phone saved this lady's life and helped us find her quickly and lead her to safety."

He added: "We would urge the public to check all electrical items; heat pads and electric blankets, especially now if you're using them more due to the recent colder weather.

"We would also ask the public to consider any older friends or relatives that may also use these items and help them check them."

More information about electrical safety can be found in Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service’s (HFRS) electrical safety leaflet attached.

HFRS also provide home safety visits for anyone that may be vulnerable/live alone.

If you would like a home safety visit or know anyone that may need one, contact the Community Safety team by emailing: community.firesafety@hantsfire.gov.uk or calling: 023 8062 6809.