THE death of an 84-year-old Andover man found “catastrophically bleeding” in the hallway of his friend and unpaid carer’s flat "could have been prevented", a court heard today.

Malcolm Cox suffered a laceration to the back of his head when he came into contact with a ceramic plant pot which smashed and he sustained “monumental blood loss” in November 2016.

Mr Cox, a member of the Andover Royal British Legion, was discovered “covered in blood from head to toe”, moaning and incoherent by paramedics at about 8.16am on November 15 after a call from friend Izabela Dauti.

The prosecution claim that Ms Dauti left Mr Cox bleeding in her home for around 12 hours before she called emergency services which the former Subway worker, of Bell Road, Andover, denies. 

Ms Dauti has pleaded not guilty to a charge of manslaughter.

A trial at Winchester Crown Court opened today (Monday) and heard that Mr Cox was taken to North Hampshire Hospital in Basingstoke but it was deemed nothing could be done to save him and he died on November 16.

Prosecuting, Kerry Maylin said that evidence from forensic pathologist Amanda Jeffery stated that if pressure had been applied to Mr Cox’s wound or if emergency services were called earlier it “could have altered the outcome”.

Jurors were told that before calling 999 Ms Dauti called her mother, partner and had gone to the Sheep Fayre Stores for supplies, including cans of Lynx Lager.

But the court was also told that a bucket filled with bloody water was found at the flat as it is claimed Ms Dauti tried to clear up Mr Cox’s blood from all but one room in the home, and that blood-stained bedsheets, along with the defendant’s dressing gown, was found in the washing machine. 

However, Ms Dauti claims that the sheets and dressing gown were used to try and stop Mr Cox bleeding.

Ms Dauti and Mr Cox had become friends in early 2016 and neighbours had become aware that Mr Cox had become a “frequent visitor” to her flat.

Mrs Maylin claimed that Mr Cox would take the defendant's daughter to and from school and would also pay for a number of things including mobile phones, alcohol and food.

Neighbours expressed fears about the relationship and in July and August 2016 police made visits to Mr Cox’s home, but he said he had no concerns.

“He had an intimate relationship [with Ms Dauti], he said he did pay for things for her as he was lonely,” Mrs Maylin added.

The pair had been known to drink together on a number of occasions. 

Before his death arrangements had been made for Ms Dauti to become Mr Cox's paid carer as she had already been looking after him on a quasi basis.

The court heard Ms Dauti had a “difficulties in relation to money” and by receiving a carer’s allowance for supporting Mr Cox it would have meant she could receive other benefits which, it is claimed, would help her with her £1,122.28 rent arrears.

In order for Ms Dauti to become Mr Cox’s paid carer he would have needed to be in receipt of an attendance allowance from the government.

The pair were helped by Kirstin Jennings from housing association Aster to fill out this form and she said Ms Dauti was “very attentive” during a visit to Mr Cox’s home and was put down as his emergency contact.

But despite filling out an application for carer's allowance, just days before Mr Cox's death Ms Dauti had found out that her form was not found by the Department for Work and Pensions after calling them more than once. 

Claiming that Ms Dauti had made herself out to be someone who was caring for Mr Cox, Mrs Maylin added: “She was someone who owed Mr Cox a duty of care and she breached this in the grossest of way. She breached him by letting him suffer and a day or so later with catastrophic blood loss he paid the ultimate price – death.”

The trial continues.