A WIDOWER has been left with more questions than answers following his wife’s death.

Mike McLevy’s wife Christine died on September 17 of a heart attack caused by the suspected side effects of the chemotherapy tablets she was given.

But Mrs McLevy’s family and friends believe that she may have been among the five to eight per cent of the population with a genetic condition which meant her liver did not produce an enzyme called dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase – or DPD – and so cannot process the chemotherapy drug capecitabine.

As previously reported in the Advertiser, Mike is now searching for answers as to why his wife was never tested for the potential deficiency.

And on November 8 he met with staff from the Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust [HHFT], which runs Basingstoke hospital where Mrs McLevy was treated.

Mike had also lodged a formal complaint with hospital about her care and the DPD testing.

He said: “The oncologist explained her diagnosis and she was convinced it wasn’t DPD deficiency. I asked why it couldn’t be tested and she added that there was no money and Christine’s symptoms did not fit DPD.”

But the oncologist did suggest that Mrs McLevy could have died from poisoning by the chemotherapy drug - which is a rare syndrome.

“I am not 100 per cent convinced that this could be the case and asked whether this and DPD could be tested on the tissue that was taken from Christine but was told this needed to be done through the coroner. So I have approached the coroner but he has not responded.”

Mike was also promised explanations about the potential syndrome but has yet to receive any documents.

The trust had agreed to carry out an investigation into Mrs McLevy’s care but Mike does not believe this is taking place.

He said: “I think they are just hoping that I shut up and go away.”

Mike said that if he is unable to get answers from the hospital then he is looking at taking further action.

“I am waiting for them to respond but if they don’t respond then I am seriously considering escalating my complaint.”

A HHFT spokesman said: “We are sorry for the distress this situation has caused the family and we are in discussion with Mr McLevy about his concerns. The oncologist who looked after Mr McLevy’s wife and senior staff from our cancer services department met with Mr McLevy as part of our own investigation; he requested a significant amount of information which we will provide.”