PUPILS and staff were evacuated from a school in Andover today (Friday) after a small fire broke out.

Fire crews were called to Winton Community Academy, in London Road, at 11.59am to reports of a fire in a first floor room caused by a laser cutter.

A crew from Andover fire station attended the incident and the school was evacuated.

A post on the academy’s social media said: “There has been a small Fire on site caused by an electrical fault.

“The school was evacuated and the fire has been dealt with by the Fire Brigade and at no point was there any danger to staff and students on site.

“The building has now been declared safe by the Fire Brigade and students have returned to lessons.”

Firefighters returned to their station at 12.45pm.