A DOG had a lucky escape from a flat fire thanks to quick-thinking firefighters.

Arthur was rescued after a flat went up in flames just before 4pm on Tuesday, August 29.

Thick smoke engulfed the property and brave firefighters waded into the home to save the hound.

A spokesman for the fire service wrote: "An appliance from Andover and Ludgershall were mobilised at 15.51 to a fire in a ground floor flat.

"On arrival, crews found a fire in the kitchen with one dog being rescued by crews wearing breathing appartus from thick black smoke within the property.

"Happy to say Arthur was reunited safe and well with his owners."

They urged the people of Andover to "please stay safe".

Andover Advertiser: