Homophobic threats

A MAN has been given a suspended prison sentence after the homophobic abuse of a man in Andover last year.

Scott Anthony McLaren abused and threatened a man with a knife in the town on July 8, 2020.

Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court heard on Monday that the offence was motivated by homophobia.

Additionally, McLaren, of Quicksilver Way in Picket Twenty, was found guilty of being in possession of an 8.5-inch knife in a public place, which he used to threaten the victim.

Magistrates’ imposed an eight week prison sentence, suspended for twelve months.

The 44-year-old must also attend appointments with the probation service during his sentence, and participate in 20 days of rehabilitation activities.

He is further ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £128, and costs of £40, whilst the knife will be destroyed.

Order breach

AN ANDOVER man has admitted breaching a community order issued after he assaulted someone.

Dean Michael John Millins was given a community order in 2018 after he assaulted a woman in Andover, with specific requirements to report to the probation service regularly.

However, Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court heard on Monday that Millins, of Camelot Close, failed to keep appointments in November and December 2020.

The 39-year-old was re-sentenced for the assault, and given a £500 fine.

The community order was revoked, and he was given no further punishment for breaching it.

Alleged coercion

AN ANDOVER man is set to stand trial for allegedly controlling and coercing a woman.

Sean Allen Brown, of Weyhill Road, is alleged to have repeatedly or continuously done this between September 2017 and September 2019.

The 40-year-old will appear before Winchester Crown Court on March 31, and has been released on conditional bail.

Man admits stalking

A MAN has admitted placing a tracking device in a woman’s car to stalk her.

Kris Dungey, of Cedar Wood Drive in Newport, Wales, admitted to the stalking of the woman in Andover between July and August 2020.

The 55-year-old will appear before Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court on April 7, where he is expected to be sentenced.

He has been released on unconditional bail.