Firefighters tackled a blaze breaking out on the first floor of a home in the south of Andover last night which saw three people taken to hospital.

Crews from Andover Fire Station and Sutton Scotney were called to a property in Herons’ Rise at 23:58 on April 5 following a fire breaking out in the first floor bedroom. While the incident was occurring, Stockbridge Fire Station provided cover for the crew in Andover.

The cause of the fire was a candle that had been left alight and caused the room to catch fire. Fortunately, fire alarms in the home, as well as those in neighbours’ properties, alerted the occupants to the fire and allowed them to escape the building.

However, three people were taken to hospital as a precaution.

Firefighters tackled the blaze for almost an hour and a half using four sets of breathing apparatus, two water jets and two hosereels. The fire was declared extinguished at 01:23 on April 6.

Andover Fire Station said: “We would like to praise the occupants for having working smoke detectors and getting out safely.

“Please stay safe!”

Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire & Rescue Service recommend a number of steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of fire from candles.

Firstly, candles should be secured in a candle holder and kept away from flammable materials such as curtains and loose clothing. They also recommend not burning candles together in a group, and not moving them once lit.

Candles should not be left unattended, or with children or animals, as fires can spread. Firefighters also suggest using LED candles “to create the mood without the risk.”