Two men arrested on suspicion of attacking a teenager outside a primary school in Andover have been released on bail.

Hampshire Constabulary confirmed to the Advertiser that the two men, aged 40 and 36, had been released on police bail following the incident on Roman Way, in which a 14-year-old was taken to hospital with cuts to his face and neck.

The two men, both from Andover, were arrested following the assault on Tuesday evening, on suspicion of wounding with intent.

Police continue to conduct enquiries following the incident, which occurred at the end of the school day for Roman Way Primary School, whose playground is adjacent to the junction of Roman Way and Viking Way, where a police cordon was erected on the afternoon of July 20 following the incident.

The school has offered support to pupils and their families following the attack, which occurred around 15:15 on Tuesday, with police saying the boy had been ‘seriously assaulted’.

A police spokesperson said: “We were called at 15:17 on Tuesday, July 20 to a report that a 14-year-old boy had been seriously assaulted in the Roman Way area of Andover.

“The victim has been taken to hospital with cuts to his face and neck. They are not thought to be life-threatening.

“Two men, aged 40 and 36 and both from Andover, were arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent. They have been released on police bail at this time.

“Officers are establishing the circumstances of what took place and will remain in the area to carry out enquiries.

“If you have any information about what happened, please call 101 quoting the reference number 44210286966.”

The spokesperson added they could not elaborate further as investigations continue.

Many residents were left in the dark after the incident, with a number telling the Advertiser they only became aware of the incident after online rumours.

Community leaders have sought to reassure the public that there is no ongoing threat to safety, with Test Valley ward councillor Tracey Tasker telling the Advertiser: “I was shocked and saddened to hear of the horrific incident that took place near Roman Way school. A huge thank you to the emergency services and to all those who helped and assisted. Whilst the victim has suffered serious injuries, I’m glad they’re not life threatening, and I hope he makes a swift recovery.

“I have been informed that there is no perceived wider threat to the community and additional police patrols have been organised. I also understand the school have held an assembly to assist and reassure the pupils.”