A councillor who was forced to resign after being arrested will not face any charge.

George Paine stood down from Tidworth Town Council in February after being arrested on suspicion of sexual communication with a child. But he will face no further action.

In a statement, Wiltshire Police said: “In February this year, we arrested a man in his 60s from Tidworth on suspicion of sexual communication with a child.

“Following our investigation, he has been released without charge.”

On February 20, Tidworth Town Council was made aware of the allegation. At the time, George Paine was a member of the council’s Community Engagement Committee. The allegation was also referred to police, who arrested the councillor the same evening.

The council subsequently issued a statement on February 21, in which they said they had asked for his resignation. At a parish level, councillors can only be removed from office under very specific circumstances including bankruptcy or a failure to attend meetings for more than six months.

The statement from Cllr Mark Connolly, the Mayor of Tidworth, read: “Tidworth Town Council will assist the police in its investigation where it can, though the allegation against the Councillor was not, as far as the Council is aware, in connection with his role as a Councillor.

“The Councillor has been asked to resign pending the outcome of the investigation. The Council does not have the legal power to remove the Councillor from office.

“We would ask members of the public not to speculate on social media as it may prejudice the case.

“As the matter is under investigation by Wiltshire Police, it would not be appropriate for the Council to comment further.

“Any enquiries about the case should be referred to Wiltshire Police.”

The following day, February 22, the council confirmed a letter of resignation had been received.

George Paine was subsequently released on conditional bail while enquiries were carried out, and following an investigation by police, he was released without charge.

George Paine declined to comment.