This view from David Howard’s collection shows a view by Frederic Pearse of some High Street buildings and shops as they looked in 1905.

On the left is the Globe Hotel, a former coaching inn whose outward appearance has not changed except that the natural brick front is now painted.

A notice board displays posters of up and coming events at the Guildhall, just across the street. In those days, ‘penny’ lectures were well-attended.

Next door to the Globe were the premises of Brock’s the saddler, with what may be the proprietor Arthur Brock standing in the shop doorway with white apron.

READ MORE: Story of Caldecott House and the life of a corn merchant

His late daughter Isabella remembered somewhere inside that there was an oak-panelled room with Tudor-rose decorations.

Indeed, the building was of great antiquity and of early 16th century origin.

The frontage had been replaced in the early 19th century but it was originally jettied (overhung) on both the first and second floors.

The first-floor hall contained a fireplace of Chilmark stone, which suggests a high-status building and that the original occupant was of some means.

Only slightly later than the main building was a sizable extension to the rear comprising two floors, and allowing enough space from front to back for an alleyway.

We can see here the alleyway entrance from the street, just this side of the shopkeeper.

Brock’s was replaced in 1929 by Henry Gale’s fruit shop, followed in the mid- 1930s by Watson and Childs, who were radio engineers.

SEE ALSO: Andover single-mum begs Sovereign housing association for help

Many will remember John Burfoot’s Hot Pie Shop, the final business there which lasted for more than 25 years.

On 19 May 1967, acting for John Burfoot, Ellens the auctioneers sold the building for £17,500.

Sadly, a year or two later, it was demolished and a new building replaced it.

Next, at No 27, is a chemist’s shop, run by John Bienvenu, who also performed dentistry.

His son Henry played for Andover FC at the time of their successful cup win in the 1907-8 season, as recorded in this column recently.

The Bienvenu family were from Southampton, coming to Andover in the 1880s.

Sadly, soon after this photograph was taken, John Bienvenu died and the business was bought by chemist, Herbert Ridge.

In another example of shop buildings carrying on the same trade through different proprietors, a succession of chemists was to occupy this shop right into modern times.

Of late 18th century date, in 1983 the shop was given Grade 2 listed building status, showing how the outlook had changed in such a short time; 15 years before, the building standing next to it, twice its age and of infinitely more interesting construction, was destroyed without a thought as to its architectural value.

Next in line - the low building with its pair of overhanging gas lamps - is No 29 High Street, then a draper’s shop.

The name over the door was James Lord but he was the proprietor of a large shop in Fisherton Street, Salisbury.

The Andover branch was run by his younger sisters Bessie and Caroline Lord, the latter acting as housekeeper.

James himself died at Salisbury in 1917 but the Andover shop continued under Bessie until her death in 1923.

For a few years it doubled as furniture removals and tea rooms under Mr and Mrs Colebrook but after 1930 it became the booking office for the Wilts and Dorset bus company who parked the waiting buses around the Guildhall forecourt.

Eventually the council tired of this and a new bus depot was organised around existing buildings in Bridge Street, until a new purpose-built station was opened on the same spot in 1954.

The old High Street shop suffered demolition in the 1970s and became a branch of Millets.