AN ANDOVER man who pleaded guilty to assaulting a police constable while serving a suspended jail term will be sentenced at a crown court.

Lewis Noble, 29, of Halter Way in Andover, pleaded guilty to assaulting a police constable on April 8, 2023.

He also pleaded guilty to resisting another police constable from executing his duty on the same day.

A Basingstoke Magistrates Court heard on Monday, April 29, that Noble committed the two offences while being on a suspended sentence imposed by Winchester Crown Court on January 7, 2022.

SEE ALSO: Andover Town Council to extend Christmas lights display

He had received a 15-month custodial sentence suspended for two years for actual bodily harm.

Prosecutor Kate Prince said: “On April 8, 2023, at around 6pm, police received a report about an incident occurring at the residence of Mr Noble. Officers on arrival tried to speak with him but he locked himself in the bathroom. The officers had to kick the bathroom door, but thankfully Mr Noble opened the door then.

“The officers then told him he was arrested for the reported incident. But this incident did not proceed further. Mr Noble shouted ‘For what, for what’ at the officers and resisted them.

“He was pulling his arms away. He was taken to the floor by the officers. He was being rude to the officers and in doing so he caused a small injury on one of the officers' arm.”

The prosecutor described the injury as a nail graze on the officer’s arm.

SEE ALSO: Winchester coffee roaster to open new shop in Jewry Street

Noble, who represented himself, expressed his remorse.

“I accept the charges. If I rationalise that day and my actions I’m sorry to the police, my wife, and my kids. Social services are involved now. If I could go back to that day and try to regulate my emotions, I would. I have been going through to some mental challenges. But I am sorry to the officers.”

The magistrates court then decided to adjourn the two charges to Winchester Crown Court to be sentenced along with a decision on the suspended sentence order.

It will be heard at 10am on March 1. He has been released on unconditional bail until then.