A 'DISTRACTED' driver killed a grandmother after he veered onto the other side of a road moments after avoiding another crash.

Police were called just after 9am on Wednesday, March 22, last year, to a report of a collision involving an orange Mini Clubman and a silver Suzuki Wagon R on the A3057 Romsey Road in Andover.

The driver of the Suzuki, 71-year-old Margaret Taylor from Stockbridge, died.

On Tuesday, April 9, Richard Wake, the driver of the Mini, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless/inconsiderate driving.

READ MORE: A3057 Stockbridge crash: Tribute paid to grandmother who died in crash

Andover Advertiser: The court heard that Wake, of Deep Lane in Basingstoke, veered on the opposite side of the road after avoiding another collision.

Prosecutor Kerry Richardson said: "The vehicle being driven by Margaret Taylor was being driven excellently and below the speed limit.

"The Mini was driving fast but there is no evidence to show it was in excess of the speed limit.

"The vehicle being driven by Wake suddenly crossed onto the central line, he looked up and swerved away to avoid a collision with another vehicle.

"Due to his steering, he lost control of the vehicle and drifted back onto the oncoming lane and hit the Suzuki. It had nowhere to go to avoid the collision."

SEE ALSO: Andover woman fined hundreds for fly-tipping cardboard boxes

Ms Richardson told the court that it is likely 32-year-old Wake, who has no memory of the crash, was "distracted by something which took his attention away from the road".

"She (Ms Taylor) had insufficient time or space to take avoiding action," the prosecutor added.

In mitigation Joanna Brennand said: "He (Wake) has no previous convictions and is extremely remorseful for what happened."

Ms Brennand told the court that Wake was an "inexperienced driver" and he suffered concussion from the incident and has since struggled with memory loss.

"He is someone who has not driven a vehicle in this country since the incident," she added.

Ms Brennand continued: "He wanted to plea guilty at the first opportunity as he his mindful of the damage he has caused to another person’s family."

Wake will be sentenced at the same court on Monday, June 3 and has been given an interim driving ban.

Mrs Taylor’s family previously paid tribute to her, saying: "Margaret was a loving mother, grandmother and great grandmother who will be greatly missed by all her family and friends. 

"She had a heart of gold and would do anything she could to help others.

"Our lives will never be the same again. We would like to thank all the emergency services and people on the scene that came to help."